1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Build: Body Shape Idea

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stpvoodoo1, Aug 12, 2007.

1. I'm about to start buying the materials for my first build, and here's the shape I'm thinking about. My thoughts are, nothing fancy, 1 piece core body with a 5-7 lam neck.

This body shape is derivative of many basses (as all are) but tell me what you think.

basslineartnewsmall.

2. It appears to be a little too reminiscent of the Bongo design, especially the upper horn and the headstock. I like the knob layout, as well the pickup locations. The general width of the body appears to be nice too. But like you mentioned, its almost a little too derivative. Maybe round the edges of the horns. As far as the headstock... I dunno.

3. Yeah..I've struggled with the Bongo resemblance. But I did compare a pic of a Bongo with this diagram, side-by-side and though it seems so from the line art, I'm *thinking that a one piece flame maple body or something with raised contours will be less likely to conjureup the MM Bong..However I'm trying to work out something with rounded horns right now

4. basslineartnewsmallrounded-1.

5. I greatly prefer the second rendering's body style.

The headstock is still a bit too amorphous looking, particularly the end. I think the linear style of the headstock at the start of it is a little too sharp if that makes any sense. If it were a softer shape, it may flow a bit better. I would imagine head stock design to be the most difficult as there are so many styles out there that have been taken.

6. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I really really like the first one, but I would say it does look an awfull lot like the bongo... if it were my build, I would get rid of the headstock all together and make a headless (the official name of this kind of bass slips my mind at the moment) with the tuners on the body. You have it set up for that anyway the way the but end sticks out a bit. I would also try an upper horn like that of a parker or make it a single cut... Great work though.:D

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It looks nice.

You'll have to think about the controls, though. At present they look too close to the edge to allow for a thick enough control cavity wall. Also too close to allow any significant roundover.

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I like the first one a lot. Sort of a more pleasant looking Bongo. I think it works.

9. that's kind've what i'm thinking...a better Bongo..I think once it actually takes shape it won't look THAT similar...Of course, I have a lot of things to decide on first...

10. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    +1 for the second one.

11. why not build both? they are both very appealing, i like the first one, but if you would like flatten out the upper horn like the first one and leave the bottom horn rounded...