1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Build. I think a hidden knot has hosed me...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zbassquito, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Zbassquito

Zbassquito

Mar 27, 2009
    This is my first build and up to this point everything has been going well. Tonight I made some rough cuts for the thickness of the neck, and discovered in nearly exactly the weakest part of neck (right in the truss rod route, and very near the nut) a dime sized knot that I could not see from either side of the wood when I picked it. I spent nearly 4o bucks on the wood for the neck and would hate to chuck it. Though if its trashed, I'll just shorten it and make a baritone guitar....

Anyway any thoughts? My camera is terrible, and I cant get a reasonable detail picture, but here is a general view of what I've got and an attempt at the knot. The knot is right in the middle of the center walnut lamination on the neck.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Attached Files:

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Why would a knot be a problem? Actually to me a knot is even stronger than regular wood. Now if you also ask me they give the wood a one of a kind look. I think that looks great and $40 isn't that horrible if you hate it and want to trash it.
    Just build it man! :) Especially for a first build, just work through it.
    Good Luck,
    Dirk

3. Zbassquito

Zbassquito

Mar 27, 2009
    Thanks for the speedy response Dirk. I agree that the knot itself is stronger, but they cause stress concentrations, and make the wood more likely to fail around the knot. Also, this particular knot is about to fall right out, and gives when I push it... so it can't carry any of the load. Its about .750" wide out of 1.625" total. I agree that they frequently look cool, though. I also found a similar situation about halfway down too... I think that I got real unlucky with that middle piece. I'm thinking about work arounds, maybe plugging it, I might be able to cut it off and use a scarf joint for the headstock instead of one block. any other ideas, thoughts, etc.?

4. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    why not just cut out that peice of walnut and put another one in there

5. Zbassquito

Zbassquito

Mar 27, 2009
    After thinking about it a bit that's where I was headin'. Mostly just frustrating I guess. I'll table saw down the middle and then use a disc sander and router to clean the sides. Then I can re-glue and try to flush it up without taking much off. The walnut is $2/lf so it'll be $8 and some hair pulling. Thanks to both of you for taking time to respond. I think the after shock of the project mishap has died down now.