First effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Greg Jones, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Greg Jones

Greg Jones Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    OTHER THAN A COMPRESSOR .... :)

What should my first effect pedal be? I'm playing mostly a Fender P through a Mesa WD-800 ... I have a tuner pedal already. :) ... I'm pondering hard on a chorus or flanger ... if anyone can recommend a distortion pedal that plays nice with Mesa stuff I'd be interested in that as well. Cheers!

2. Back in the day my first effect was a DOD Bass Flanger pedal. Inspired by Billy Gould of Faith No More.

DJ Bebop and Greg Jones like this.
  3. Greg Jones

Greg Jones Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Mine was a Boss Flanger ... don't think it was the bass specific one either.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

It should be whatever you are interested in. Since you are interested in a chorus and flanger, do some reading and listening, and then make a decision on where your hard earned dollars will go.

The idea is you and I may have totally different ideas of what sounds good, so it's best if you do the research and choose what you like.

Now if you have specific objective needs and can express them, it may be useful to ask for a recommendation.

5. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Octave!

Boss OC-2, OC-3 or the new OC-5. There are several good examples in the POG line from EHX. MXR has two excellent octave pedals. Maybe try the TC Sub n’ Up.

6. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Flanger is the modulation that I most prefer, since you hinted at that. More specifically, the Empress Nebulus would be my favorite.

Raman and Greg Jones like this.
  7. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    What styles of music do you play most?

8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    My very first pedal was a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone.

Yours should of course be too.

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Mine was a DOD FX75-B Stereo Flanger, still in use today but more for presence nowadays...

10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    ^ this is the crux of the biscuit.

If it's just for :poop:s and giggles, delays can be a lot of fun.

11. Multi FX or multi-modulation can be a good way to sample different effects without dropping too much cash into a dedicated pedal before you know what you like (Zoom and Boss offer plenty of bass multis held in high regard in this forum).
    If you plan to use fx in a band context, you would do well to listen carefully at the genres you play and pick from what is most commonly used.
    If you just want to fool around at home then, you really can't go wrong.

12. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    If it’s in your budget, ZOIA. it’ll do every type of effect under the sun & it’ll also allow you to build your own sounds & effect chains from scratch.

if you want my lighthearted answer, M U F F

monsterthompson and RJ like this.
  13. I'm going to be different and say a Noise Suppressor. All those pedals that you are going to buy are going to be noisy. No one runs one and everyone should.

14. OldSchoolFlats

OldSchoolFlats

May 29, 2021
    Limiter? Sorry, couldn’t resist...
    ...but seriously, I like my Boss GT-1B multi-effects. Lots of usable effects.

Not the easiest to select patches live, but I sit it on my amp and turn the dial to select the patch.

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What kind of music do you play?
    What effects are you interested in?
    There is no one size fits all answer here, it’s all about what you want effects to do for you.
    I’d say a good overdrive pedal. They fit into a lot of musical styles and do wonders in the mix if you gig.

I have zero noise in my effects.

DrThumpenstein and Teryup like this.
  16. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    An HPF?

DrThumpenstein and Bass4Brkfast like this.
  17. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    A Zoom B3 or B3n, used, should be under $200, maybe less.

Line 6 Pod HD 500x are going for $300 used.

A decent multi will keep you busy for years. Amp modeling, FX, looping, interface, some even have a drum machine... aux in, di...

Usually 3-5 compressor models...

Get one with a software editor, so you can do all your settings, patches and stuff on your computer.

NoiseNinja and Bass4Brkfast like this.
  18. Honorable mention: get an EQ pedal!
    It will teach you a lot about tone and how to sit in a mix; you will reap benefits long term from that learning.
    A parametric or 10-band graphic EQ is a great way to add more versatility to the tonal footprint you can cover.

Greg Jones likes this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Depends. How much do you want your way of life to be impacted? Are you single? Just saying.
    Follow filter with fuzz.
    upload_2021-10-13_20-51-13.jpeg

20. 264E97AC-E212-4AF4-BB33-32BC7839B438.jpeg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021