First fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adashbass, Jan 5, 2006.

1. adashbass

adashbass Guest

Nov 10, 2005
    Can anyone recomend a good sounding/feeling fretless bass.
    Im looking at Dean Edge 4 FL and others in price range
  2. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    so that's roughly $300-400, right?

I love my MiM fretless jazz, I only spent $200 on it. MIM's are, as always, hit or miss though.

When I was looking for something similar (ended up with the above), I was frequently advised to watch for Curbows on e-bay. They often go for about that price, and are allegedly very nice basses.

Good values in cheaper fretlesses were harder to come than I thought they'd be.
  3. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    SX makes a very nice first fretless !!
    try :bassist:
  4. Without a doubt, the single best and cheap fretless bass I've ever played is the Ibanez SR300DXF. Roughly around $280 us. Very nice precision/jazz pickups and a two-band preamp. Great tone, and very great playabilty. Lined board makes switching over a breeze!

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the Dean you mentioned is a very good bass.
  6. I love my Dean Edge 4 Fretless - 300 dollars, very nice finish, beautiful fingerboard, excellent tone, VERY light (7.8 lbs), and great customer support.

PM me if you want more information - I've played my Dean out approximately 40's my least expensive guitar, but in front of people, it gets 80 percent of the spotlight.

7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I started off on a MIM Fender Jazz Fretless, sold it and picked up a Yamaha BB404F. Great little bass, though I'm thinking about selling it to get something a bit better. Like a CIJ Jazz...

8. The new Yamaha BB614F are supposed to be great sounding. I can attest that the BB414 fretted sound great...I don't think you can get a 414 fretless (a 404F, yes)
  9. this threads good cus i've been looking into getting a cheap fretless to get used it fretless for a while and i didnt want to start ANOTHER... "help this is the money i have pick me out a bass thread"
  10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I've seen a black fretless in the new BB series at a local shop, I think it was a 614 (active right?).
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My first fretless was a Dean Edge 5 and it was an outstanding bass. I used it in church and in limited gigging. It always sounded great and looked great and the neck was a dream to play. The only reason I replaced it was because I wanted a 6 string instead of a 5. The only thing I did not like about the Edge 5 was the 35" scale and that is a very minor nit. I didn't even know I minded the 35" scale until I bought my 34" scale Brice.

I will tell you this - the Dean is significantly better than any of the Rondo Music imports that I've tried including my Brice V2. The build quality and all component quality is superior.

If you're looking at an Edge fretless and you like it, I say go for it!
  12. adashbass

adashbass Guest

Nov 10, 2005
    I'll keep in mind all ur suggestions! I'll prob go for a Dean Edge as Ive seen some around for a good price.