First Gig ever and first set list...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jiro, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Holy crap this is short notice we got a gig in like 3 days... I am so damn nervous I want to practice 24/7 till the gig but i think isnt such a smart idea... How do you over come this feeling? Such a wierd feeling of Excitement while being nervous while having a bad feeling cause you feel like you could have practiced more...

Ya here is our set list:

Sloan - The Other Man
    The WHite Stripes - Seven Nation Army
    Jet - Are you gonna be my girl
    Bloodhoundgang - bad touch
    Guns and roses - sweet child o mine
    Kiss - Detroit Rock City
    Lenny Kravitz - Are you Gonna Go My Way
    Tragically Hip- New Orleans Is Sinking
    Tragically Hip - Blow At High Dough
    Weezer - Buddy Holly
    White Stripes - The Hardest Button to Button
    Bloodhoundgang - Kiss me Where it smells funny
    Lenny Kravits - Fly Away
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

Im not sure if this is good enough hahaha.... im kind of scared...
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Where are you at? Do you need help remembering the parts? What exactly are you struggling with?
  3. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I kinda started bass like 4 months ago and im with guys who have been playing and giging for 7 years, I dunno makes me a bit worried that im not up to there standards haha. Now im on stage with like a ton of people watching... :help:
  4. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    If you really bad about it, root note it for all the songs, but do so in time with the drummer. Hopefully you'll have loosened up enough after the first few to play the rest flawlessly with their normal parts.
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    i can suggest things to help you like little cheat cards with tab for the tunes etc.. But as far as just got to go up there and get er done! It's like the first time you did the horizontal mombo if you know what I mean. At first your all scared and nervous but after the first time it's always fun and exciting. Those nervous jitters you feel is what is fun about it!

You are going to make mistakes

You are going to forget parts

You are going to maybe have equipment issues

You are going to feel nervous

So once you realize these things will happen all you got to do is go up there and do it! Also you play bass, which means if you screw up only 5% of the people will realize it. It's not like a lead vocal where if you mess up "everyone" will hear it. Stand up there, act like a rock star! Have fun! It will all work out :bassist:
  6. Luckily, most people don't care much about bassists. So even if you hit a wrong note, at least act and look like you meant to hit that note, and people won't think either way.
  7. Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    Your singer must one heck of a singer to pull off all of those! The set list looks fine, and the bass parts for the songs of which I know on that list arent that strenuous.

Run through everything in your head, picture how you want it to go. If it's three days to gig time, you should know all those songs inside out, if not, root notes baby!

Just keep cool, you'll be fine, and trust me, after the first song you'll be feeling ace!
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Ask whoever's writing the setlist to put a couple that you're really confident on at the start of the gig and nothing too daunting at the end. That way, you've got a good chance of being able to ease into the experience and also finishing on a strong song.

As far as your practising goes, don't play so much that you harm yourself (blistering your fingers isn't a good idea right now!). Make sure your gear is good order (eg. does your bass need new batteries? Is your guitar lead reliable and do you have a spare, etc). In terms of your actual playing time between now and the gig, I'd split it between running whole songs (to see if you can remember the structure and also to get used to carrying on if you make a mistake) and focussing on a few parts you struggle with and working on getting those perfect.

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    All true, you will make mistakes, but truly do not worry about it. I've seen bands play what I thought were appallingly sloppy live sets and had someone in the audience stood next to me rave about how great they were. The vast majority of audience members wont notice more than a handful of mistakes!

The trick is to play bum notes in time - as if you mean 'em - and to get back on track as quickly as you can.

Use the vocals for cues.

Nerves: 15 mins before you go on stage, go somewhere private, close your eys and take a load of slow deep breaths. If you know any stretching excercises these will take your mind of the performance, basically juist yake five before you have to go on, it will help :)

...and remember, what's the worse that could happen? It's not brain surgery, just music! :)

Not sure about the 1st time sex thing... I dont remember being nervous really, just dying to get in there, as it were... so very little changes in the grand scheme of things ;)
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000