1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First gig in a lifetime is coming!!! I'm scared!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass_Band, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Bass_Band

Bass_Band

Aug 2, 2012
    Hi Rockers!

I'm about to perform live for the first time. The gig will be really smooth; 25-30 persons on a family party (drummer's family). I play with lead guitar, signer/rythm guitar and drummer who all have experience ++ on gigs. I'm playing for 5 months with thoses guys; they say my play is much much better (I practice hard) but I'm scared anyway!! :help:

We're gonna play 25 songs, I'll have a lectren for 4-5 song that I struggle more with (singer and lead guit will get one to). It's no big deal since we're doing this for free; purely to break the ice as a band.

The show is septembre first and we have 2 rehearsal left . How should I spend my time practicing? (my weak spot? all the song? My strongs ones to build confidence...). Any advices for this first gig? All advice would be really appreciate!

Rock'n roll! :bassist:

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Picture you audience naked.

Seriously, my first gig was as a naked singer (no instrument, just a mic stand to shield me from the crowd.) I was awful, and they hated me.

My bad.

You have a bass as your shield, and you should just play. You've rehearsed the songs; let the rehearsal be your magic. Play like you love it; and don't be scared!

Loosen up a bit, and move around, and have some fun.

You will be fine.

They are NOT going to start shooting.

Well, usually they don't.

You're not in Texas, are you?

3. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    The adrenaline that comes from butterflies is the best part, the post-show high will last for days. Live for it! :hyper:

Just be comfortable with playing your parts, that is turns bad nerves to good ones.

4. Bass_Band

Bass_Band

Aug 2, 2012
    OK. I'll imagine myself rocking and moving!! My MM StingRay5 will shield any wrong thinking and I'm gonna have FUN. I will focus on magical rehearsal moment!

It's a dream coming true after 5 years practicing teh instrument. FUN is my moto.

Thanks!

5. Bass_Band

Bass_Band

Aug 2, 2012
    I'll be waiting for that butterflie!! Meanwhile I'll foucus on turning my negatives nervesness into good ones!

I know the post-show high will be awesome... After a nice rehearsal i'm pumped for 24/48h... just imagine! :bassist:

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Play in front of a mirror, and actually look at yourself while playing. Nothing worse than watching a band that just stares at their fretboards. It will also help you practice cool looks, because image IS everything.

7. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Have fun! Isn't that why you started playing? The whole "for chicks" is a lie.

8. IMO dont stand there with a big sheet music stand in front of you...it looks to amature

make up a cheat sheet and lie it on the floor..

i have one in A3 paper with 25 songs in it...it has a few promps just so you can remember..

if you forget something ....or hit bum notes...dont look suprised just pretend you did it on purpose....hit the root note a few times then lock back in to it

9. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    After the first note people will b into it and u won't want to ever take a breske...I promise u that. All of us make mistakes ....just learn from em. If I were u I would run thru ur entire setlist and play along with every song, it will alert u as to what u need to work on and also let u go back and work on any major brain fades which will occur from time to time. Good luck, once ur gig is over u will b addicted to live performing for life.

10. Bass_Band

Bass_Band

Aug 2, 2012
    Rockers!

You TB'ers are so cool! Thanks a LOT! :bassist:

A lot of advices and good words that just pump me into this!! :hyper:

I'm in my first set break playing in front of a mirror! Trying to do the hard stuff sheetless! I'll think about dressing something cool; maybe my vintage atari T-shirt? Every musicien I know tell me that I'll get addicted to live show... I guess I won't be exception.

So much nice food for mind!!

11. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Firstly - mistakes are going to happen when you play. It's just the nature of the beast. You can try to limit mistakes but since you're human, there might be the odd bum note. Just keep playing as though nothing has happened, and more often than not, people are not going to notice the mistake either because you haven't shown any indication that a mistake was made.

Secondly - the more you play through your set, the more it's going to seem like a regular rehearsal but with people watching you. Relax and enjoy, have fun!

12. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    Dont let the adrennaline overshadow common sense...easy to get caught up and players ratcheting up the volume and throwing off the mix. Have fun....relax...play off each other and you will pull the crowd in. Congrats!

13. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    This is a post where I'm curious how old the op is.

Be aware that there's more to this than having fun.

14. LOL! Now that's funny !@#$! right there. LOL

Diabolus makes a good point: the more YOU (and the band) get into it, the more the audience will too. I've gotten both ends of the spectrum... I've been told I'm really fun to watch because I get some pretty good bass face going when I'm really into the music (like with my current funk band). On the flip side, there have been some early Sunday mornings when I'm ABSOLUTELY on auto pilot for the service and a friend told me she could totally tell I was somewhere else. lol

Another good point. Everyone makes mistakes, even Victor Wooten. It's how you deal with it that matters. Don't freak out. :)

Like others have said, relax and have fun with it. Congrats!

5sg.

15. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    My mantra goes something like: "This is our band, we rehearsed these songs, this is how we play them."

Usually the gig goes well if the last rehearsal goes down the tubes. Good luck!

16. lol

5sg.

[​IMG]

17. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    C'mon Blue. You don't have to be Debbie Downer every day of your life. And try to remember it is not a crime to be younger than you.

The OP has been a bedroom guy for 5 years. He has rehearsed with this outfit for 5 months. He has done the work, he is merely looking for advice on how to channel his nervous energy.

Lighten up, for your own sake.

18. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Good luck, man! I'm addicted to live performance and it's easily my favorite aspect of music. When I started off, I was glued to my fretboard and I probably came across as really awkward. Something that got me away from feeling so insecure was to look at the other guitar player's fretboards, or maybe even at the drummer. Your playing will still sync up with your head, and it really, really helps to detach yourself in a live situation. After a few practices of doing that I was able to look straight ahead at me and still remain focused.

And despite what some grumps say, there is no reason to get into music if you're not enjoying yourself.

Also:

I can't stress enough how accurate this is.

19. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I want a report promptly after the gig....if u can fit time in between giving all ur phone #'s out to the hot babes.....seriously, let us know how it went and how u thought it turned out. I bet it goes w/o a hitch.

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Just play.. Have fun with it. Don't picture the audience naked, picture your lead singer naked and laugh the whole time your playing! No really. Have fun