1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Gig with Acme B-1... NICE!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nate74, Mar 11, 2013.

1. I had a chance to do my first gig with my new “small” setup last night. After trying a few different amps/cabs and being fairly unimpressed with them all, I recently picked up a used Acme B-1 Series 2 from a fellow TB’er and am loving it. It’s what I’d hoped my Wizzy 10 would be in terms of size and sound. It’s of course quite a bit heavier than a Wizzy 10, but in no way sounds “boxy” at medium volumes the way my Wizzy always seemed to. I’m using an AI Clarus 2R which is probably more power than is needed to drive the B-1, but you couldn’t ask for a better setup. I added a tilt back handle on the bottom so even on the tight stage last night I could hear myself well and it was plenty of volume to keep up with drummer, mandolin, banjo and guitarist; all of whom were going direct into the pub’s little house PA. With my LDS 2x8/5/T for larger gigs and this for smaller gigs, I really think I’m dialed in on the amp side. Probably time to squeeze in a bunch of gigs and practicing before the next bout of GAS sets in… just wanted to share my quick thoughts on this great little box.

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I've had my B-1 for about a year and a half and love it with the Clarus. The Acme takes a few hits on it's lack of efficiency but I find it to be very accurate, smooth and efficient in the low end. It is a great cabinet for DB, in my opinion. Sure, it first hit the market during the Clinton administration and it's not the 'latest' thing on the market. It uses an 1156 tail light bulb for a fuse! I love the way I sound through it and have no desire for anything else. My Crazy 8 gets the most love due to its insane portability but the Acme gets plenty of love.

3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I used a B1 series II for a few years and agree, it's a great little box. It will use quite a bit of power, so the Clarus isn't really overkill. It has punch, something I could never get out of the Wizzy 10 at a useable volume.

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    my favorite small rig for upright, going on 12 yrs with mine.

5. A bit of a following... cool to know.

6. cacophonic

cacophonic

Mar 18, 2008
    San Francisco

That's one of the best things about the Acmes--once you own one, you're free: free from the need to constantly GAS over the flavor-of-the-month cabs that endlessly come into and out of vogue. I play a B1 and B2 using AI iheads, with db and (very occasionally) doubling with a 4 or 5-string electric, and Acmes just flat lay it down. While not for everyone, Acme and AI gear really seems to work well for those who want to achieve the desired sound UPSTREAM of the amp. And for anyone who wants a reliable rig with well-designed, well-made components and top-notch customer service.

Congratations: you can stop worrying about your amp and cab and spend more time playing music; and If you then find that life has lost its meaning without some way to fuss and obsess over your rig, there's always strings and rosin and pickups and bows and end pins and...

bob

7. Uh oh... ;)