Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by spyingcracker, Jan 15, 2005.

1. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    If you remember, I posted a while back about finally getting into a band. Anyway, we had our first gig yesterday. We showed up at 7:30, since we were supposed to soundcheck at 8:00. Well, time for soundcheck rolls around, and no sound guy, so we shoot some pool while while we try and get in touch with the manager of the band we opened for. We find out from the bar's manager that we aren't supposed to play until 10:00, and then we find out that the main band's manager gave us the wrong time. :rolleyes: Anyway, eventually the sound guy shows up, plugs us into the PA, then gives us some time to check the sound. Everything seemed to be working just fine, so we commence with the show. Everything went smoothly, except for one song: during the guitar solo, the guitarist had told the drummer at rehearsal to quiet down, but for some reason I can't remember, he just stopped. When he stopped, so did I. This freaked me out, since I knew I was supposed to continue playing, but couldn't find my position without the drummer. After the solo he comes back in, and I go with him. The only other memorable event was during Smoke on the Water, when five drunk middle-aged women ran onto the dance floor in front of the stage and proceeded to make fools out of themselves. But they did tip us pretty well afterwards. All in all, a very good first gig, and we even made pretty good tips: $20 for each of us (four). :)

I do have a question though. For some reason I can't fathom, the sound guy ran a cable from the line out jack of my amp to the PA system, and mic'd my amp. :eyebrow: Now I know I'm a rookie to gigging, but what purpose does that serve? Isn't it just redundant?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Congrats!!! Feels great doesn't it :smug:

I wish all sound guys would mix speaker and direct for the front of house.

Word of advise... always buy the sound guy a drink. He's a good guy to have on your side ;)

3. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Why buy him a drink? The band gets FREE DRINKS!!!
    And yeah, it does feel great. So, how exactly does mixing output from my speaker and from the amp itself benefit the sound? Just curious.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well you buy him a drink because he can make or break a show. It's good to have him think "hey that spyingcracker guy is pretty cool"... means he's more likely to go the extra mile to get you sounding good on the floor.

the direct sound if clean and constant... what comes out of the speaker is your tone. Mixing lets him get good bass for the room without robbing you of your tone.

at least IMO/E

5. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Ok, I understand now. We actually got a lot of compliments on how good we sounded. Not necessarily musically, but tonally. The drums were a POS set, since the nice set got burned in a church fire (along with a brand new keyboard, amps, and other equipment; long story), but the drummer's old teacher showed up, and fined tuned the drums for him. After that they just sounded awesome. The sound guy was pretty cool, seemed to know what he was doing. My only problem was that people said that one of the singers was a bit hard to hear. Thanks for the response.