1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First gig!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Radical Edward, May 17, 2011.

1. I have my first gig coming up.. pretty excited about it. It's with a rather new band and there's a lot of pressure on me but I'm really excited. I didn't think I'd be so hyped up about it, but I am. ^_^
    Anywho.. any advice for me?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Right on! Don't forget to breath...it'll help you stay relaxed.

3. Breathe. Check! :D Will do. I'm just hoping I'm as "in the zone" as I am today, on that day.

4. Enjoy every second of it.

5. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Yes, Don't get there too early. Hanging around at the venue for an hour or two builds nervousness. I've been playing forever and don't really get nervous anymore, but I do feel the tension if I hang in the venue too much before I go on.

Also remember everyone makes mistakes, just play through it if you make a flub and remember the audience won't really reconize it.

Have fun!

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Just relax - even if you make some small errors, act as if there is nothing wrong, and no one will notice at all!
    Don't get too fancy or too loud.
    SMILE the entire time.
    Be sure to nail the endings.
    Do get there in enough time to setup and sound check without being rushed. At least an hour.
    Have a GREAT TIME

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    focus on the entire band/mix. find your "happy place" and lock it down. once you establish that you fit, then relax. (i find it irritating when it doesn't sound good)

it's okay to drop-out a note or two if you need to catch up! gl.

8. Thanks peeps,
    Great advice. ^_^ I've been practicing my butt off. Probably why I haven't been hanging around the OT these days. :p

9. double check everything...bring extra instrument cables

10. Just relax, don't get to fancy and be sure to be in tune (I know, I sound like Capt. Obvious-but still very important).
    Good Luck. Let us all know how you did:bassist: -Dann

11. But I don't have any other cables!! I'm a struggling musician here! Lol.
    ( I'm sure the guitarist has many. He seems to be rolling in the dough. :p)

It's okay, Cap'n! ;) Thank you. I'll make sure to let you guys know. I have until the 29th. I've got to learn 4 songs by then. Woo-wee. Pressure. ( I figure, if all else fails I'm fairly decent at improving and will play it off like i know what I'm doing.) :D

12. Sounds lame, but DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. Stay hydrated!

Smile

If you mess up, 99% of people there won't notice. Don't go making faces that give it away to everyone else that you messed up

Seriously, RELAX! If it's at a bar, the majority of the people there won't be "listening" to you. You're backround noise...nail the endings however...EVERYONE notices a bad ending!

Bring spare everything..even if it's only for piece of mind

Stay positive. A positive vibe is contagious--for both your bandmates and the audience!

HAVE FUN! You'll only get ONE first gig! make most of it!!

13. Good points! I definitely have to drink lots of water as I'm prone to fainting. >_< Oh, I can just imagine.. also, we're playing at the Intersection, here in G.R. It's actually a pretty big venue. I don't know how the guitarist got the gig, but I'm psyched. ^_^
    Though, we're still playing for free. Lol.

14. +1 on the drink water. Start early in the day, and then cut yourself off a few hours before the gig to let things equalize...
    Don't eat too much before the gig, eating a banana before going on does good things.

and Brush your teeth = small thing, but girls notice this if you don't do it.

15. Check the profile, Carl. I think Rad. Ed is a gurl:D

16. Thank you. I am indeed a lady, but hey.. who doesn't want the ladies "all-up-on's"? ;)

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's right! Just drop a big honking glissando down to the last note every time. It'll become "your style."

18. LOL.

19. Concentrate on locking with the drums- even if U naturally do this- or do it at rehearsal. Just makes for a tight sound all up & gives U a focus rather than focussing on being nervous.
    Main thing tho- ENJOY!

20. BluesOnBass

BluesOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Hey - from one West Michigander to another (I live in Holland) - Good Luck and Have Fun! Intersection is a great place to play - enjoy :hyper: