1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First jamming session

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by trust24, Apr 9, 2009.

1. trust24

trust24

Nov 4, 2008
    So it happened and i really enjoyed it. One question though the guiarist i was playing with said play one of the songs in drop d then you can play it on the same string, Can anyone explain this, I presume the E string was droped down to a D note but why do people do this

2. Grayson C.

Grayson C.

Dec 21, 2008
    In general, the lowest chord you can get on a guitar is an E. If you tune the E string down to a D, you can extend your low range. A lot of grunge does this, it's just for improving your pitch range on the instrument. However, I have to say, most people who do this have no idea what they are doing and just do it for no better reason than that it makes them cool.

3. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Droping the E to D allows guitarists to make "power chords" on the same fret accross 3 strings which are just root, 5th, root (D,A,D). A lot of rock bands use these, Tool, RATM, grunge, punk...

As a bass player (especially if you play a 5) there is no reason to drop down, unless you want that low D.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    5 string bass 'll get you there.

5. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    A 5-er will get you that, but having a 4 in drop D is easier to "bang away".

6. Bass Troll

Bass Troll

Oct 5, 2008
    A five string isn't really a subsitute for drop tuning. There's plenty of songs in drop D which would physically impossible on a 5 string in standard tuning.