1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First post. Is this a good bass or should I keep looking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeleopard, Aug 5, 2012.

1. jeleopard

jeleopard

Aug 5, 2012
    I do apologize if this breaks any rules or something. I read the stickies and didn't see anything against this...:bag:

Anywho, whilst perusing the internet for a budget 5 string bass ($500 max)(while not being like... some $200 Schecter Omen), I found this: http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb405natb.html

I have played Agile guitars in the past, and really enjoyed them. There's no way of trying this bass unless I buy it, which is the downside of Agile's stuff, so I'm wondering if someone has experience with this and enjoys them, please, speak up. Or if someone has another suggestion in my budget, please feel free to give suggestions and WHY it's good.

Likewise, if this is no good, please say why it's no good.

2. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Look up "essex bass" or "rondo music" - there are many, many, many opinions.

Most of them will be very, very positive, especially for the price.

If you are looking to spend $500, my first suggestion would be to scan the TalkBass classifieds. THERE you will find the best deals. $500 should be able to buy you a 5-string bass suitable for every gig that you will never need to outgrow.

3. jeleopard

jeleopard

Aug 5, 2012
    $500 is a stretch. $300 is easily comfortable. I just say 500 cause it's possible, and easier to go off of than 400. >.>

I have been scanning the classifieds, too, but haven't found any that just yells my name. Yet.

4. Essex, Brice and Agile basses are good instruments, really good deals. You may wanna try some Squiers the VM and the Deluxe Active, really cool instruments. If you are going for more of a Hard Rock/Metal Vibe, try Jacksons CBX and JS3 models, or even some Ibanez and ESP/LTD.

5. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Then give it some time - like a few weeks.

Also, check out the Squier series on musiciansfriend.

6. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I bought a peavey grind 5 string used, probably wouldn't break your budget. The tone is only ok compared to others I've played but it's extremely balanced all over the neck, never any fret buzz coming through the amp. It's become my main bass over my more expensive MIA fender jazz!

7. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    My best advice is don't forget to budget out an amp. If you have $500 to spend, I would spend at least $200 on a nice amp. If you skimp and play a $500 bass through a terrible 5 watt starter pack combo you got for free because you didn't have any extra money, you'll quit in a week because you no matter what you try. The best bass in the world will never sound good played through a $50 POS combo. I lived it.

8. True that, I'd go into the used market, you can start at TB classifieds, ebay or the in the GC used department.

9. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    That Brice is a mean bass. There's vids on YouTube of a guy with a fretless 6 string version. Sounds good! I haven't played one personally but from what I've heard they are really good instruments

10. If I recall, Brice basses are from the SX family, but a step up on quality and materials, IME, that means a Hell of a bass! :bassist:

11. jeleopard

jeleopard

Aug 5, 2012

I haves me a Roland Bass Cube (40 I think) and it's pretty good, if I say so myself.

12. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

13. In the end it all comes down to what type of bass you want. Active/passive, modern/classic looking... and ultimately the one that you fall in love with.

14. jeleopard

jeleopard

Aug 5, 2012
  15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    In the $300 some range Id look at Ibanez SR300, Esp Ltd B154dx, Jackson JS3, and similiar price basses by Peavey instead.

16. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1.

You'll have a better chance of selling them on for a little towards an upgrade too.

Some serious basses around now new for not very much... and used prices are far from high these days (bad recession in case you hadn't noticed!).

17. jeleopard

jeleopard

Aug 5, 2012
    The Jackson JS3V is sexy in that Silverburst.

And I have a Jackson guitar and love it to death... Hm....

18. The JS3V is definatelly a good bass for the price, I like it better than the David Ellefson bass.

19. See if you can get a good deal on a Brubaker Brute 5-string. Those things look like incredible basses for their price.

20. jeleopard

jeleopard

Aug 5, 2012
    ^ they're too expensive :\