1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First rough blueprint

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Proki, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Proki

Proki

Nov 8, 2010
    Here's a rough plan of a bass I want to build.

Just looking for crit and tips, etc, and do you think it will work?

Due to the 2x4 design, it will only be played with a strap.
    I'm also puzzled as to how I could include a pickup.

Thanks in advance

blueprint.

2. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    Ned Steinberger tried this a few decades ago. I think during his trial and error period he discovered a couple of things about that design.

It's gonna be VERY headstock heavy.
    Sustain is limited because of the lack of weight and mass.
    Electronics (pickups, knobs, wires, etc) have to be as small as possible. This greatly limits tone options.

Ned solved the mass and sustain problem by using a thick epoxy/graphite kind of substance. I forget what it was called. He then had to add a little more size to the body just to accommodate electronics.

He solved the head heavy problem by putting the tuning pegs after the bridge. The opposite where you have them now

So basically, and I admire your attempt here, but you're building a Steinberger.

[​IMG]

3. Proki

Proki

Nov 8, 2010
    Thanks for the helpful post, winnb!
    I should have wrote that I plan for the head to actually be the bottom of my guitar.

Also, I just found a very similar design here, and I like how he has incorperated the pickups;

[​IMG]

4. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    So he mounted the pickup above the strings and flipped it over. Nice idea! Not exactly pretty, but it works. I'm assuming it's always on - no volume control? Wait, just saw the volume knob. Nice!

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  6. Proki

Proki

Nov 8, 2010
    Thanks for the useful links, abarson

7. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland