first time playing in front of a crowd AHHHHHHH!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 60's Bluesman, Jun 6, 2010.

1. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    my friend asked me to play bass with him on the drum and his brother on guitar at his open house a week from today. prolly to most of you this would be nothing but ive never played in front of more then like 6 people before and now im playing in front of like 200 people....and my god am i nervous:eek:

any tips?

2. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    If you can concentrate on the music, you won't have to worry about being nervous. Be in the moment, and try to "take the stage". You'll do great!

3. coffin blurt

coffin blurt

Feb 6, 2010
    don't give a **** about what people think

4. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    my father over came this by envisioning and saying over and over "you're all just cabbage"

and then just imagine a field of cabbage.

5. +100 on this one. I played my first gig when I was 14 and was too excited to care. The next time I stepped on stage I was 17 and nervous as could be. My band was opening for Overkill in front of about 2000 people. I focused on and let my self get lost in what I was doing. Had a blast and the moshers broke the barrier in front of the stage while we played. :D

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I advise you to live in fear and be as nervous as possible. I also suggest using cables that are on the verge of collapse. Maybe invite some bikers to rattle the guests. Above all...drink way too much. lol

7. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    interesting, dont think ive ever heard that one before

8. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    -Warm up with your bass at least 15 minutes before jumpin on stage.

-If you want/can, drink a beer (JUST ONE) while warming up.

And don't forget to tell us if it worked!

9. What's the lighting going to be like. With lighting in my face, I can't even see the audience........

Also, most likely, once you start playing, all the nervousness will just go away....

10. Concentrate on what your familiar with "your Bandmates". My first time on stage I didn't look at the crowd for like the first two songs. I stared at my Bandmates and just tried not to mess up. After a couple of songs I relaxed enough to turn to the crowd. This is a learning experience for you so don't push yourself to "play the crowd". Relax and get the feel of the crowd. Oh yea...there will be at least one guy/gal in the crowd that will be LOUD in his cheering and so forth. Tune him/her out as fast as you can at first. Good luck and have fun. You`ll remember it always ;)

11. You will be hooked forever, after only one time.

All the best!

12. twangman

twangman

May 8, 2010
    take a shot or drink a beer or two but whatever you do dont get drunk! just relax, and focus on the bass. you and the bass will become one..

13. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    By all means let us know how it went I would like to hear about it.Good luck

14. S. Katz

S. Katz Guest

Oct 24, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Congratulations. Here's a bit of practical advice: on the first song, consciously try to play a bit slower than the tempo you settled on when you rehearsed. Nervousness always makes you speed up, but you won't feel as if you are playing too fast.

15. I just did a pretty big gig last night w/ a band of crazy seasoned pros who've all been gigging together for a hundred years . . . I was soo nervous I nearly blew chunks during set breaks. Just gotta get through - only way that feeling stops is by doing it a thousand times. Chalk this gig to 1 - 999 more to go!

Oddly, I get psyched up for a show by listening to crazy good live shows in the car on the way. Usually The Josh Dion Band "live". Gets me thinking about being at that level and gives me something to strive for . . . but then there's always cabbage :D (that's a great one btw - can't wait to try that!)

16. silvertripper

silvertripper

Mar 12, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My first gig was in front of maybe 50 people.... 5 years later I was playing for between 5,000 to 14,000. The fear is always there, but once that crowd gets going its all adrenaline after that. The rush is a drug in itself. Get addicted to the rush and there is no going back. You'll do fine, just tell yourself "Im the ****"... and say it out loud. Its a confidence booster, seriouisly you should try it and you'll feel much better. Play long play strong and play it loud! :bassist:

17. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    Congrats! I haven't played out much either, but my advice is SMILE alot! Get into the music, dance a little, make cool rock'n'roll faces too! :bassist::D:cool:

18. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    Make sure your equipment is working and your bass is tuned properly.

Warm up before hand, don't leave reality, focus, face the audience even if you forget your part (you can take a quick peak at that one guitarist that plays bar cords for the root ;) and if you make a mistake move on as only 10 people will know and 5 of those people are in your band.

After a few measures or minutes, whichever comes first, and it's sounding good the nerves will leave and the excitement will enter. Then try not to play too fast, stay in the moment and you'll remember it forever.

Of course have fun and enjoy your new addiction!

19. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    If you truly love playing bass and have practiced your tunes to the point of confidence (which we all hope you have), just remember:

You are the best man for the job. Play to serve the song, to serve the band. Those who really matter will truly appreciate great bass playing. Give it to them and you will have many opportunities in the future :hyper:.

20. I've played in front of large crowds since I was 8-9 yrs old, so its a non-issue to me. ( in fact I dont get a kick out of it anymore either).

Think of it as a martial arts excersize, where you have to control breathing, never look into their eyes, staying focused on the groove of the tune only. As said, defeintely warm up your hands prior. I used to run "spiders" up and down the fretboard.

If that don't work, imagine the audience is all NEKKED! It will help your ego maintain calm.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021