Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first transcription?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by yitsi80, Mar 2, 2006.

1. yitsi80

yitsi80

Feb 8, 2006
    what was the first song you transcribed? and are there any recommendations for a first attempt?

thanks,
    Yitsi80

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I believe it was 'The Real Me' by The Who

I recommend you attempt a tune you really like, as opposed to one you think would be good to transcribe, hard or as easy as you want, either way you'll learn a lot

3. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Hi Yitsi
    By 'transcribed', do you mean actually wrote down on manuscript, or just figured out by ear?
    Anyways, the first song I actually transcribed with chords, drums, bass and horn notation was 'Just Like I Pictured It', the MMW tune. It helped me to focus on something blues oriented with fairly basic chords and rhythm in the lines.
    But a really good thing is actually transcribing yourself. Just take any line you've come up with and try and put it on paper - it can be a helluva challenge (depending on what you've come up with of course)!

4. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Oy, feel free to elaborate on your question in case I misunderstood what you meant!

5. yitsi80

yitsi80

Feb 8, 2006
    by transcripition i mean't the first song you figured out by ear. ie. you listned to the song and figured out the baseline to it. thanks for the tips.
    yitsi80.

6. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Okay, the first song I worked out by ear...that would be a toss-up between 'Schooldays' or 'Silly Putty' by Stanley Clarke, though they are not your typical basslines, and function more as melodies within the tunes. I'd say pick something melodic as opposed to something root-notey and rumbly. I think if it's easy to sing (as in 'a clearly defined melody'), it's easier to play. How long have you been playing, Yitsi?

7. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    "Bouree" by Jethro Tull

8. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    Live - Overcome
    I helped work out the (fairly hard) piano score for a friend

9. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    Back on the Chain Gang - Pretenders. (Is that weird?)