Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fishman BP100 Grounding??

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by eh_train, Mar 9, 2006.

1. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi all,

I recently got a used Fishman BP100, and was surprised to find that it requires a ground wire... My other pickup is an Underwood, which seems to be the same construction, and it doesn't need one (neither did a Bass Max that I used to have). Given that they're all piezo pickups, why is the Fishman the only one with a ground recommended?

Maybe more importantly, can I get away without using it?

Thanks for any advice!

Paul (Eh_train)

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    That wire helps to control hum pickup, as the BP100 isn't shielded as well as some newer pickups. Wrap the ground wire a couple turns around the E string below the bridge and don't worry about it.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    On my first BP-100 I clipped off the wire since it annoyed me. Never noticed a difference....

Honestly the thing sounds like crap no matter what you do to it.

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    One thing that really helps is to put a preamp with about 10M of input impedance as close as possible to the pickup.

5. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Honestly the thing sounds like crap no matter what you do to it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, all, for the advice...

Re. "crap", it's always a subjective experience, and highly dependent on the bass/pickup interaction. Although Realists and Revolution pu's are the "flavour of the day," I don't think ANYTHING has changed in piezo technology, despite manufacturer's claims that their product is far superior to previous products...

My Underwood, which I've owned for 20 years, has been solid and reliable the entire time. In contrast, I gave up on a Bass Max that had problems with variable signal levels (even after it was repaired by K&K)...

Just my .02 cents...

6. I've played basses with fishmans that sounded perfect amplified. Also played some where it sucked.

7. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    you could at least give 2 cents, .02 of a cent is so little...:D

sorry...couldn't help myself...

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've used the BP-100, the Underwood, the Realist, the Schertler Stat-B, and The Full Circle. In that order. The BP-100 was by far the worst; the Full Circle is by a slight margin the best.