1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fishman Dual Parametric DI

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Alain Bass, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:19 AM.

1. Alain Bass

Alain Bass

Jun 6, 2004
    Paris France
    The Fishman Dual Parametric DI seems a very good preamp, but very hard to find.
    Does someone knows others preamps available in the market that can replace the Fishman ?
    Today I had a look at the AER Dual Para EQ, but know nothing about this product.
    AER DUAL PARA EQ.
    Thank’s for your answer about the Fishman.
    Al

2. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Some ideas:
    TECH 21 - Q\Strip
    ParaEq

I just sold a Fishman Dual Parametric EQ on the TB Classifieds; I’m always looking for used units, so that someday all of them will be owned by TB members. If I find another one, I’ll let you guys know.

3. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    They are nice, but boy-- the boxes on those are pretty flimsy. Good news is that they are excellent sounding and can be had for less the 100 bucks. I think this new pedal is worthy of consideration for upright.

TECH 21 - Q\Strip

4. Unless I'm mistaken, Alain is looking for a 2-channels unit, no?

Michael Eisenman likes this.
  5. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    AER is very high quality. I owned a great bass combo from them, several friends use their guitar amps. Getting them repaired has sounded like the main issue. Before purchasing I'd look into their repair services..probably good if you are in EU, much more complicated and expensive if you are in North America.

6. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Which ones are flimsy? The Fishman? Though it is lightweight, I find mine to be plenty robust, as long as I don’t run over it with my car. I should think that anyone who can take care of a DB is not likely to easily break the device.

I did not infer that from his post. He is looking for a Fishman or equivalent, and all of these mentioned devices are single channel with two parametric EQ bands.

MR PC likes this.
  7. Alain Bass

Alain Bass

Jun 6, 2004
    Paris France
    Thank's for your reply, Guys. I will have a look at the Tech and the Empress.
    Me too, I am looking for used units in the classified, but at last, stop searching because I don't find it. Many thank's Michael for your answer to contacte me.
    In fact, I am looking for a one channel preamp, and asking if there is something in the market today that equal the Fishman Dual P. because this unit is hard to find. Al

8. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Hi Michael, the Fishman I had had been quite used, but worked flawlessly. Compared to the build quality of my old TC Electronic Dual Para Eq's, it was flimsy..you could press on the front panel and it would bend, the construction overall was a bit clunky I thought. But it is a great unit for sure.

I now am using a Grace Design Alix most of the time for upright (still use the old tC as well). It has everything the TC and Fishman have...and more. It sounds EXCELLENT. Built like a tank too. And it is expensive...600 bucks.

ALiX

Michael Eisenman likes this.
  9. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I just bought and returned one of these (fishman parametric) to guitar center. You may be able to find it on their used gear page.

10. Alain Bass

Alain Bass

Jun 6, 2004
    Paris France
    Krfoss, which Guitar Center ? I made a search but there is quite a lot of Guitar Centers.
    Thanks for your answer.

11. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Fullerton, ca

12. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Their store locator lists Brea and Orange as the two stores closest to Fullerton. Was it one of those? Neither store's website shows a Fishman in its inventory.

13. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Here's another option: Parametric Equalizer

It's a bare-bones three-parametric-band EQ. The things that the Fishman has that this one doesn’t have is a volume control (which is of minimal usefulness to me), a phase-reversal switch and a battery-power option. If all you want is the parametric EQ, this looks like a good option.

The seller, @Azure Skies, seems to have a very good reputation on TB. He could probably replicate all of the features of the Fishman, though at what cost...?

With all of this said, if I were in your position and unable to obtain a Fishman, I’d probably consider the Q\Strip.

14. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Well then, it must no longer be there. I returned it to the Brea store. Could be worth calling them if you're really that interested.

15. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I’ll be in Brea this weekend. If it’s available, I’ll let Alain know. What was the price, if you don’t mind my asking.

16. Alain Bass

Alain Bass

Jun 6, 2004
    Paris France
    Thank's all of you for your answers.
    With the jet lag, I answer you a bit late. You sleep when I walk up, and vis et versa :)
    Michael, This unit seems to answer to my question. 3 bands instead of 2 for the Fishman (why not), small, available, it has probably a clean sound available for double bass.
    Michael did you tried it ?
    The Empress also is probably a very good unit, but bigger than the Broughton, and the weight is important for me. Got no car, travel by bus, tube, or foot.
    To be honest, I never tried a box with only parametric EQ, I have a Headway 1 and the old Fishman Pro Platinium, the bulky one.
    Reading your posts in Talkbass for a while, a lot of players seemed to say that this box is the box to have, this is what decide me to get one. Is it a good idea ? Some also sells it, so may be not.
    Mainly, I think that that kind of box is very usefull to fight some frequencies that bother you and that you don't succed to fight with a fix or regular Eq. it is a complement to a regular Eq.
    The Broughton seems a good available answer, and I will look at the Fishman if somebody find one for me. Thank's for all. Alain

17. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    No, Alain, I have not. I was looking for options for you and wondered whether Broughton made one.

If your amp has the other features that you need, then the Broughton can fill in the gaps between your existing tone controls.

I will be in Brea early next week (visiting my sister for Thanksgiving) and will try to visit the Guitar Center that @krfoss mentioned to see whether they still have the Fishman. I will let you know.