1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fishman fisson

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by uptowndirt, May 20, 2011.

1. uptowndirt

uptowndirt Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    hey anyone hear if you can get this pedal yet ? i have a lot of interest.

2. uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    hi, no-one knows or no-one cares ?

3. uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    hahahaha one man thread.

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Just a few more days. I really want one of these. Any idea on whether its true bypass or buffered bypass?

6. Tyler Kirschner

Tyler Kirschner

Jul 4, 2011
    looks crazy. it's basically a "chord generator"??? anywhere i can hear a sample?

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    So it can add a fifth, or two fifths. What makes this better than all the other more fully-featured harmonisers and pitch-shifters at a similar price point?

8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It seems to be a slightly more featured take on the long-discontinued Akai Unibass, though I believe the Unibass had a footswitch dedicated to the overdrive, which in theory sounds ideal (though I think most people that use the Unibass do so with some dirt afterwards anyway). I believe it will sell new for equal or less than what a well-used Unibass will generally sell for on Ebay, so it seems pretty cool if you are looking for the thing that it does. What other products in this price range can independantly create chords, have a built in overdrive, and track well with bass? The EH HOG is the only one I can think of in a similar class outside of multi-effect pedal, and the HOG really isn't that similar at all feature or price-wise. I personally wouldn't have much use for it, but there are certainly some Unibass super-fans out there to attest to its usefullness!

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    There are other similarly priced units that do this (other than the Akai unibass)? What are they? I'm definitely interested.

I

10. I'll keep my UniBass until I hear the Fission and likely even still, the Fission looks huge and I really like the UniBass. The UniBass offered octave up added to the original signal, it was very "guitar" or 8 string bass sounding as opposed to the artificial sound you get from a pitch shifter or harmonizer. The UniBass offered a tone control and overdrive for the octave sound and the ability to solo the octave up or add a 4th below the octave or a fifth above the octave for an instant power chord sound. There was also a separate out for the shifted sound to add effects or send to another guitar amp.

11. There are some that can do one harmony. Not many that can do two and most are way more expensive. And only one that I can think of that will add a harmony and add distortion.

Whammy
    M9
    M5
    Holy Stain (although the harmony drags a little on this one).

All of these come in near or below the fission. My biggest problem with the Fission is I thought it sounded like poop, especially for the price. A more competent user may prove me wrong in the future.

12. I'd really be interested in learning more about this pedal. I play in a three piece cover band, and something like this could go a ways to fleshing out our sound.

13. I had just gotten my micro POG and decided to send it back when I read about this thing. It should be arriving by next Wed. I'll let you know what I think. Kind of excited about the prospects. Going to run the high end signal from the insert on the amp's internal crossover to the loop on my pedal board to the Fishman, return the dry signal and run the effected signal to a little 20 watt tube amp. At least that is the plan in my head.

14. I've got a POG II which is my main pedal. But I am interested in this Fission. It has some different features. :bassist:

15. I've got one.......

It's a nice pedal for a lot of reasons and it does a really nice job....but like most of my pedals, I use it sparingly. I WILL say that it is a little touchy and it has a tendency to spiral in between octaves....but nothing bad.

It would be PERFECT for a three piece band....really beefs up the mix when the guitar player takes off on a solo. Personally, I tend to dial back the distortion a little, but when I first got it (a month ago) it was fun as hell to play around with.....

It is built like a tank and the attention to detail is second to none. All in all, I give it a STRONG B+......

16. My main band is a three piece plus a female lead singer, so I'm always looking for what to do when the guitar player solos. The POG II is an awesome pedal but this looks good too.

17. Will stick with my line6 M9

18. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I recently bought the Fishman Powerchord for exactly this same kind of band situation. Our female singer plays keys, and a little guitar, but I needed something to fill the space during guitar solos and in certain songs that need a rhythm guitar part that tracks the bassline.

I'm wiring the effect out into a Sansamp British distortion pedal to add a better sounding overdrive than what is built in to the Fishman. From there, I run straight into the PA, and add a slight amount of reverb/delay at that point. My guitarist even approves of the sound and tone it gets, and he is a tone SNOB.

In my opinion, none of the demo videos or audio samples show very typical or useful applications of this pedal. Everything I found had the bassist playing typical fingerstyle bass riffs, with the overdriven effect layered over the top of slides, fills, and quicker single note riffs. The main use I have is to create a rhythm guitar part that follows the bassline, much as a second guitarist would do when playing alongside me.

We're a cover band, so I'm using it in songs like 867-5309. I am a fingerstyle player, but I have found that I get the best sounding result by playing with a pick when the effect is engaged. That delivers the most crisp attack to trigger the octaver and generate the most realistic guitar tone from the effect.

In my opinion, this pedal is a great replacement for the rhythm guitarist that we attempted to bring onboard, but never did the work needed to learn our tunes. Now, at the click of a button, I have a nice sounding rhythm guitar to accompany me. It always locks in tight with the bassline, and has a great tone. Plus, everyone in the band gets a bigger cut of the pay at the end of the gig. :bassist: