1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fitting bigger pickups in squier jazz deluxe

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by keytthom, Oct 21, 2010.

1. keytthom

keytthom

Jun 10, 2010
    Hey, in my 5 string squier active jazz deluxe, the pickups are both 91mm(ish), which i believe is the size for one of the standard 4 string sizes.

I want to replace the pickups with some open pole ones, but this raises the issue of them not fitting.

How could I make the holes bigger, without completely destroying the body?

2. keytthom

keytthom

Jun 10, 2010
    MISTER (Bump)

3. jscomposer

jscomposer

Nov 25, 2009
    Call Bartolini. They make Jazz pickups in a lot of different configurations to accommodate a variety of basses. If they don't stock a 5-string bridge pickup in 3.6" length, ask if they'd make you one.

Some alternatives:

Are the insides gooped up like EMGs, or can the cover be removed? If they're not gooped up, you could send them to Duncan's custom shop to rewind. It'll probably cost about $80 each.

Or get 2 neck pickups.

Or get a Rio Grande Muy Grande neck pickup, and order directly from Rio Grande another Muy Grande neck pickup but wound to bridge specs. That'll cost around $200 altogether. (They're designed for 4-string, but because the pole pieces are extra large and evenly spaced, they work just as well for 5-string.)

The folks at Q-tuner could make you a High-Z/Medium-Z set with both pickups neck size. That'll be around $300.

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    There are other brands that fit those basses, Dimarzio UltraJazz and Area J models, Sadowsky, Bartolini, Nordstrand, etc.