Fitting pickup where none was before!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 8va, Jan 18, 2006.

1. 8va

Jul 16, 2004
    I have a Vox standard bass which feels great to play but is far too "treble" a sound for my liking. I prefer a soft but positive "thump" rather than a super well-defined treble note. I think the reason for treble sound this is that both humbucking PU's are mounted next to each other well back toward the bridge.

So what I'm thinking about is mounting a new PU as near to the neck end as I can. This will mean routing out a space for it and a routing channel in the back of the instrument to connect with the electronics. Maybe even make the new pickup the only one that is active ie disconnect the existing PU's and just wire in the new one.

Alternativley I suppose I could relocate both existing PU's nearer the neck.

If, and I say "if" I do this, can someone suggest a suitable PU? I like the look of the beefy ones on Gibsons EB3 but there may be a height problem with the strings.

I realise this will probably make the VOX valuless (ok it's not worth a much anyway), but is this whole plan a waste of time for some reason? (Maybe I should just buy an EB3 - it's easier :)