1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TRADED Flame Koa Roscoe SKB Custom 3005, with audio clips

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Growling Woods, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Growling Woods

Growling Woods Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2020
    Portland, OR
    Price:
    $3200
    Strings:
    United States
    This bass has an absolutely HUGE and surprisingly articulate sound, with lots of tonal versatility. I really don’t know anything about recording and may have had the gain too low, but I gave it a shot and tried to demonstrate some different tones this bass can produce. The tone knobs all go way past the adjustments I made on the recording, so you can sculpt the tone more to your liking, for sure. Feel free to ask me about the tone settings I used at different points, or anything else you may want to know.

Even after playing this bass for a while at home, I found I appreciated this particular instrument much more than I anticipated when playing nice and loud with a band. It just has more clarity and definition in the mix than I expected, so it’s character really shines through when it counts most. No matter the context, I am personally most impressed with the whollop the neck pickup produces on this beast.

-2010 Roscoe SKB Custom 3005 with audio demo
    -Exhibition Flame Koa top and back.
    -Body: Spanish cedar, wenge, and maple.
    -Neck: maple with wenge center.
    -Fretboard: wenge.
    -Custom Koa, Wenge & maple control knobs (added on later, not made by Roscoe).
    -Bartolini pickups and electronics.
    -35" scale.
    -18.3 mm string spacing.
    -Nut width is 45mm.
    -Comes with hard case and original paperwork.

This isn’t your average Roscoe (and even the average ones are great). With all the upgrades it’d cost $6,000, plus the wait time if you ordered this today.

Weight: 8.6 pounds according to my scale. It is my lightest bass, which is amazing given the longer scale and all that wonderful wenge, which usually make for an instrument that is too heavy for me. I bought this bass because I LOVE the tone of wenge but didn’t want the weight that comes with it. This is really a rare bass and it absolutely delivered what I thought was impossible (and have never seen before or since). Plus, it’s so beautiful! I’d keep it, but have realized I’m really just a 33-34” scale guy, so am letting this one go. I'll honestly miss it.

I took too many photos, but it's a really photogenic bass. Couldn't help it. One shows me pointing to what I was told was a mid-range gain adjustment pot that is available to adjust with a small flatblade screwdriver through a little hole in the back electronics cover. After trying it, I think it might be gain in general? Either way, just another of many tone adjustment possibilities this bass has, in addition to the push/pull two-frequency mid-range knob on the front, which allows you to cut or boost a higher or lower mid-range frequency, and the more common treble, bass, and pickup blending options.

I'm pretty new to talk bass and only have a couple positive reviews here, but have lots of positive reviews on eBay, and a few positive reviews on Reverb. Private message me if you want links to my accounts on those other websites, or if you want any other info. Thanks for looking.

Trades: My imaginary dream bass has unusually low action, five strings, a 33”-34” scale, wenge fingerboard if fretted, ebony if fretless, mahogany body, and is surprisingly lightweight. Maybe a single cut? Having never seen this, and being unwilling to pay what it'd cost to commission it to be built, I'm happy to entertain offers of things that actually exist instead. Maybe something with one or two of those features? Maybe something totally different.

Attached Files:

ceerod, B-Lo, dave64o and 12 others like this.
  2. Charlie Tuna

Charlie Tuna

Feb 21, 2005
    Key West, FL
    The demo sounds nice. Cool Wooten inspired loop early on. GLWTS, a TB Roscoe beauty

3. Growling Woods

Sep 4, 2020
    Portland, OR
    Thanks so much, Tuna. Yeah, that was a Wooten riff from the song "the Lesson".

Charlie Tuna likes this.
  4. Growling Woods

Sep 4, 2020
    Portland, OR
    Here are more photos, including what the case looks like and all cosmetic flaws I am aware of on the bass. The neck, front and back of the bass are flawless, so far as I can tell, but there are three areas that have been dinged up a bit: the two horns and more subtly around the input jack.

Attached Files:

5. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Gorgeous wood!

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That bass is stunning.

31HZ and Thank You Leo like this.
  7. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I like the Owl face on the back of the bass. Beautiful bass and the demo sounds good!

8. Growling Woods

Sep 4, 2020
    Portland, OR
    Thanks so much, guys.

9. Lloydtownsend

Lloydtownsend

Aug 23, 2010
    Michigan
    None
    I have always lusted for a top like this...

10. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    My old bass! This one is fantastic. Somebody will be very happy with it.

31HZ likes this.
  11. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Wow! Too bad I'm not in the market. Looks like an incredible bass for $3200.

12. Klassickeyz

Klassickeyz Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2020
    would trade for MTD 535-24

13. Growling Woods

Sep 4, 2020
    Portland, OR
    Traded!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020