<flamebait>cliches and good quotes</flamebait>

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by brutuscheezcake, Nov 5, 2004.

1. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    <flamebait>cliches and good quotes</flamebait>

i would love to get a few musical quotes or appropriate cliches list going on.

when i play rhythm changes i like to quote

i got rhythm (naturally)
    the flintstones

when i play scrapple

honeysuckle rose

when i play the girl from ipanema

lucky southern

when i play i-iv-v

jeez, anything blue in a melody
    like blue monk
    sailors hornpipe
    donna lee
    scotland the brave (the old spice commercial music)

so... esteemed brothers, what are your favorite musical quotes and where do you use them?

you gotta know, i just want to steal some of your easy licks!

2. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Just today I was playing a concert for the Jazz Club of Sarasota. We played the tune "Undecided" and during my bass solo I quoted Slim & Slam's "Flat Foot Floogie". It's a catchy riff and the crowd seemed to dig it. I also played Jimmie Blanton's lick from "Jack The Bear" to end my solo on Duke Ellington's "Just Squeeze Me".

- Steve

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I generally don't plan 'em... they just fly out sometimes, and then I immediately hear Ed Fuqua's voice in my head, berating me.

The one that does seem to pop up a lot is Duke's "Rockin' In Rhythm". But I don't do it much anymore...if I do, I take it as a warning that I'm temporarily not involved enough in the process of making music.
  4. Steve Bassman

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Why? Lots of jazz soloists (not just bassists) quote melodies in their solos. I don't think it impedes creativity unless you overdo it and worry more about sticking in the quote than playing a cohesive solo . Slam Stewart always threw quotes into his solos. One of the coolest bass quotes I've ever heard was when Jay Leonhardt played Isreal Crosby's famous counterpoint melody from "But, Not For Me" while soloing on the same song (but in a different key and tempo). I heard it as a little tribute to Isreal Crosby plus a sort of "wink" to other bass players who would recognize the melody.

- Steve

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    It's just a device that I try to avoid, probably because I relied so heavily on it in times past. Ed has spoken in the past on the subject, though I can't remember the specific threads. That's where the Fuqua reference came from.

I do know that lots of great soloists quote in their solos. Marian McPartland did a show on quoting, and in fact cited "Rockin' in Rhythm" as one that she slips into pretty regularly.

Sometimes I like to take a quote that seemingly won't fit into the changes, something angular, like "Pinocchio", and warp it into shape, and base the subsequent improvisations on that theme. When I pull it off, I feel like Mr. Super Genius. The rest of the time, I feel like Marcus Johnson :rolleyes:.
  6. I use 'em when my own ideas are running dry (which is frequently), or sometimes just because its fun and gets a laugh from the other players (that is, when they're not just plain laughing at my playing) .

One quote I keep coming back to is "Swingin' on a Star."
  7. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    "If I Only Had a Brain" from the Scarecrow's bit in The Wizard of Oz seems to pop up all over the place...
  8. Steve Bassman

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    LOL :) I played that one just last night! The female vocalist finished singing "Over The Rainbow" and I played the melody you mentioned as a little bass coda while the last chord was sustaining. I was a little disappointed that only the vibes player noticed it.

- Steve

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Change the last two words to "DURRL", and welcome to my world. :)
  10. I'm an old fool for this ****....I got a million of 'em.
    Paul Desmond and Jim Hall are two of my favorites to listen to for quotes. What's hip with these two is the fact that they have the ability to squeeze them in over the bar lines!
    I use to play alot of quotes, then lately i've been noticing that nobody reacts to them....that's because everyone who recognizes the quotes are all dead now! :crying:
  11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Jim Hall is the all-time master at the "disguised quote". As Paul mentioned, he rhythmically displaces them and harmonically morphs them so that they're barely recognizable. As a listener, you sometimes don't realize you've been "zinged' until after the fact.

As always, Jim Hall is the man.

Paul..I ain't dead yet... come to Hawai'i and play some quotes for me! Bet I get at least some of 'em....
  12. mmm… well, I'm quite partial to "If I Only Had a Life" as are others, I'm sure :rolleyes:

- Wil
  13. …in the band or audience?

(I agree re. Jim Hall and Paul Desmond, BTW)

- Wil
  14. Both....all the other people in the band are too young. The audience doesn't listen any more. Woe is me...... :crying:
  15. I read a story on Desmond once, where he played a quote from one of Pres' solos. This writer talked to him on a break and thanked him for playing it, and to tell him he recognized it..In the middle of the next set, he played the rest of it. Paul stopped on the way out and said: I thought you might enjoy hearing all of it.!!
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It seems to me in the UK, that it's particularly guitarists who like to do this - Jim Mullen is one who I've seen play whole sets of this kind of thing!! :meh:

But I wonder if Jazz guitarists like doing it as they always play fairly "clean" and have less available for shaping sound and dynamics of a solo, like a Sax player would?
  17. Bruce, the way you brain works is really fascinating for me.

I mentioned this before I think, but I used to work with an alto player who literally played from quote to quote. He wouldn't do it all the time, but i've heard him really get close.
    And, i'm sure we've ALL heard the cat who does a quote and then can't remember what tune he was playing and ends up getting stuck in that one.
    Not mentioning any names, there was a fairly famous sax player from my neck of the woods who was famous (among musicians) for doing this.
  18. That's one way to put it. Bruce, the notion that guitarists are more apt to use quotes than other instrumentalists is simply not true, therefore there is no need to speculate on why this is (because it isn't).

And you can quote me on that! :D
  19. I don't understand how this thread got this far without mentioning Dexter Gordon. As for guitarists, some years ago me and my jazz mates were at a Bill Frisell gig and me being the only one that had heard much pop/rock was the only one that clocked the quotes. That they flew over the jazz-fiends heads didn't seem to detract from their appreciation of Bill. Seeing as Paul has speculated on the subject whaddaya reckon - does putting quotes in that maybe only you know detract? After all, if you think it and think it appropriate or it just springs from your flow of improvisational conciousness why should'nt it? Quotes, whether known or not, work in literature with readers how haven't seen them before - but if the quote is a clever allusion to something then the message is lost. This is still no reason not to use them if you think them - why disrupt your flow because some of the jazz police frown upon it? Yeah - Dex is my man!
  20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Another one that seems to pop up a lot, usually in some uptempo bebop raveup, is the old tune "In An English Country Garden". My friend Gabe Baltazar, one of the best alto players on the planet, is particularly fond of that one.