1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flat Wound Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mark61, Feb 5, 2018.

1. mark61

mark61

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks in advance , just need some input.
    Been using Dadarrio flat wound Chromes (medium) on my 4 string and like the sound. Helps me as a beginner / intermediate level player keep the strings more quiet as I learn to silence them better.
    Question being ;if I wanted a little more sound or brightness and want to stick with flat wound strings , should I move up to the regulars or the Custom light which get such great reviews. Didn't know if the Custom lights my be too big of a change but seem to be the better rated string. But, a lot of you guys are playing so far advanced than me.
    Again Thanks for your input. Much appreciated
    Mark

2. mark61

mark61

Feb 7, 2013
    This must be a stupid or repetitive thread. Can someone steer me in the right direction. Maybe I'm searching it wrong. .
    Thanks
    Mark

3. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    Gauge won't make a huge difference in brightness; I doubt you would hear a significant difference. Chrome's are pretty bright for flats; I personally have not played a brighter sounding flat wound string. I understand that TI Jazz Flats are fairly bright, but I have no first hand knowledge.

If you're trying to learn how to control string noise and want a brighter sound, switch to rounds. You won't learn to control string noise playing flats.

4. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    hi, gauge may make a difference in tone but imo it would be a very small difference, ernie ball cobalt flats will be brighter but imo they don't really sound like a flatwound more like a roundwound, if you want to keep the flatwound sound but want more brightness then maybe an equaliser pedal is the way to go

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Pressurewounds :thumbsup:

fermata likes this.
  6. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I used to usew Chrome Flats and they are great strings and were my favourite until I tried Ernie Ball Flatwound Cobalts. They are brighter than Chromes but still have the feel and non existant finger noise that you get from rounds, they are un-mistakingly Flatwounds

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Brightness and flats really don't go well together. Sure, there are exceptions (Chromes, TI Jazz Flats and Dunlop Flats come to mind), but overall if you want a brighter tone you should probably be looking at rounds. Or mess around with the EQ on your amp and see if that helps.

8. mark61

mark61

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks , for your help. May check out the Cobalts first.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    TI flatwound's have a more mid presence and somewhat brighter tone for a flat. I'd look for a used set here in classifieds because they are a little pricey.

10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Dunlop flats are brighter when new and lower tension. Almost sounded liek some sets of rounds to ear.

11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Switching your bass’s tone pot to a 500K is a quick way to keep the zing in your signal. (Only for passive basses. I don’t know beans about anything else)