Flats or Round?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by riffer, Jul 8, 2008.

1. riffer

riffer

May 19, 2008
    Calgary, Alberta
    So I'm new to bass strings after playing guitar for 5 years and now deciding to switch over to bass, I've always just played whats on them but I need a new set now.So can you guys explain to me the tone qualities between flat and roundwound? I play mostly metal if that helps.

Thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Flats---deeper tone, thumpy and fat
    Rounds---brighter tone with more sustain

I like both for completely different reasons.

3. jayarroz

jayarroz

Jul 10, 2007
    Boston
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    +1 on Jimmy

and flats get better as they get older, so I never buy new ones!!!

4. I vote for rounds I love them after a slight break in , but I have been told several times round wounds are a no no for a fretless bass and will chew fret boards. As for Metal and low tuning, 430, drop D, drop C ect, a heavier gauge can be a big + on a 4 string

5. SubXero

SubXero

Apr 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    it seems that most metal players I know usually use rounds. I'm personally a flats guy myself but I think it really depends on your own tastes as well. Flats are smooth and feel a lot different than rounds, they sound much warmer and punchier, rounds sound much brighter and sometimes even twangy. they are sort of opposites but you can always try both and see what you like.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021