1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Weimhunter, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Weimhunter

Weimhunter

Mar 2, 2007
    Mississippi
    I just put a set of la bella flats on my 65 pbass and man the action got high. I was going to try the jamerson tone but I am scared I am going to screw my neck up. I know jamerson played with high action and he said this helped with his sound. So am I just being a chicken? Should I turn the truss rod? Is this worth doing?

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You should be able to tweak the rod a little and make it play better, but if that's a real vintage 65 p, maybe it's best to be a chicken on this one...

3. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    Action can be lowered when using the LaBella flats (I assume the .052-.110 set), I did it on a '80s MIK Bullet Bass that's a copy of the P-bass (with different body wood). The truss rod on the Korean Bullet is reputed to be weak and I had a fearful bow after installing the strings, but I adjusted the rod and managed to get the action pretty low. The bridge saddles are lowered almost all the way down, but no dead spots or fret buzz.

Of course my bass isn't worth a fraction of yours, so I'd say be awfully careful what you plan to do. The last thing you need is to snap your truss rod.

4. WildTrkey

WildTrkey Banned

Mar 1, 2009
    That happens when you throw strings of higher gauge/tension on a bass than what was formerly on it. If you are concerned, bring the bass to a good tech. Tweak the truss rod a quarter turn..NO MORE. If it still doesn't feel right after adjusting the saddles, definitely bring it to a tech.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Adjust the truss rod 1/4 turn per day until the action and intonation are where you want it.

6. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL
    I found the LaBella's to be very tight (tension) and took them off my 75 jazz and went with TI flats. What a difference. It is a lil costly to just try them out, but I think you will see a big difference in the tension.

Good luck,
    V

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I bought the LaBella FM's and found them to be too heavy. Discretion is the better part of valor.

8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    If this is really a '65 P, then the trussrod adjustment will be on the neck heel, requiring that the neck or pickguard be removed for adjustment. I'd say go with a string that has lower tension rather than multiple neck removals to get the truss rod adjusted.

9. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Yeah the Jamersons are HUGE. I've had great luck with Rotosound 77s and have been using them for several years on my 5 string Yamaha.

That said, I find the 45's tend to feel a little tight when soloing so I have a brand new set of Labella 43's that I'm going to put on. But not for a few more months...cuz my Rotos are still kickin'.

10. you should definitely bring it to a tech if you're using the jamerson set, because you probably have to get the nut slots widened to accommodate the thicker strings. it makes a difference in the playability.

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree, you might want to take them off and go for a lighter gauge string. You can get the Labellas in a light gauge as well. The "Jamerson set" is very high tension, and will pull considerably on the neck. I am not sure if its worth the experiment on this bass(on a reissue it would be). You would have to do quite a few neck adjustments.