1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FLATS Rediscovered!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by C Stone, Nov 28, 2020.

1. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Hey all,
    so I decided to give flats another go.....Oh Lordy I'm glad I did...MY TONE!

I received a set of ghs Precision FLATS as a gift and thought I break em in on 'new parts' custom p bass I just put together. I found the sound and feel are absolutely incredible. I have been blown away by these strings.

I've play'd flats over the years but never, ever, bonded with them, full disclosure I play a friends 'house acoustic bass' with flats on the regular so I am used to the feel still never really liked em.

On this passive p bass I found these to be incredibly transparent with a clean thumpy solid tone, low, full and clear, just an awesome sound.

Now I can't imagine this bass with anything but these strings on it, am I being short-sighted thinking these now should live on this bass?

Anyone have a similar experience when first using flats? Thanks for takin the time...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  2. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    My first experience with new flats: I loved them when new but didn't like how they changed quickly, beginning with the loss of clarity in the lows. But you already know this, right?

armybass and C Stone like this.
  3. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Nope, how quickly? I've only got about 10 hours on these though I read the flats seem to get better after a break in period, that they are known to "settle in" nicely. Not your experience huh, what brand string? guess only time will tell...thanks.

4. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    "Better" depends on what sound you're wanting; I need the lowest notes to be clear, so for me it was "worse". So I learned that I don't really like "thump".

It was La Bella DTFs. Still love them when crispy new. I think I remember that they changed in under a month.

C Stone likes this.
  5. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Yea, I hear ya on the "better" thing (subjective) as of right now the clean clear thump is really a treat, I cant get enough of these ghs p flats (at least on this bass) they are fresh, feel great and sound amazing.

I don't mind a little settling as I have been slowly moving away from the brightness I have been used to for so many years with round wounds, thanks again...
    Edit: pic of the new build/assy.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  6. ancjr

ancjr Guest

Sep 9, 2004
    Trying 9050L's on my V5. Never played flats before, but I am liking these. They were clanky and a little obnoxious about a month ago, but are settling in to a very nice growl with lots of lows and impressive sustain. I'm curious as to what the same string design in a smidge lighter gauge set would sound and play like.

C Stone likes this.
  7. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    I'm using the 45-60-75-95 in ghs flats (lights) I think these ARE a smidge lighter than the 9050L's. I wasnt sure about these gauges at first (felt a little too flexible) but after set-up/tune really ended up liking them and the tone so far is just what I was looking for...

They are a lighter gauge than I would normally have picked I had read several posts mentioning flats had more tension (or at least felt like it). These are playing really nice albeit with a lighter hand. The 9050L set is next on my list. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    michael_t and ancjr like this.
  8. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    GHS Flats in the light gauges are my choice as well - love them. They sound and play great. The Fender 9050L are a bit different and the sound moves more toward a modern flat sound than the GHS's. But both are great!

ancjr, michael_t and C Stone like this.
  9. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Cool Dan thanks for that! 9050L's
    are next on my list. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    ancjr likes this.
  10. Ahhh... another convert!

C Stone likes this.
  11. The Fender flats have nice forest green silks and a great, smooth feel. I think you will like them.

ancjr and C Stone like this.
  12. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    My newest set of flats is about 6 months old. After that, years old. I replace them when they break. It’s happened once in the last 5 years. I like precision flats, as you mentioned, good feel and tone. I also like Dunlop and La Bella’s. Fender and Chromes seem very similar to me and I’ve only liked the tone on one bass.

Best of luck and listen to your ears, they’ll know what to do.

C Stone likes this.
  13. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Yea gonna grab em' thanks Root. Question for ya (or anyone who is willing to take the time).

I wasn't bonding very well with my Ebonol fretless PJ. I had it wearing, up until last night, D Addario (rounds) they felt like bridge cables (no likey) restrung it with my go to sting Super 7250's (nickel plated steel rounds) .045-.100 waaaaay better! Tone is pretty damn good plenty of mwah, still any other suggestions to try on the fretless in a flat? Gauge? And will the 'mwah' suffer? Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  14. Do you want a warmer, old school tone or more brightness? You might like La Bella white nylon tape wounds on your fretless. Decent brightness, warm up great and crazy smooth feeling. But to answer your question, yes, both the GHS & Fender flats are great on a fretless.

C Stone likes this.
  15. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Fairly new to fretless world, not hunting for a particular sound on the fretless (yet). My thinking was more along the lines of maybe avoiding a 'plasticky' sound with the flats on the ebonol board? LaBella nylon tapewounds might just be the way to go..gauge? :thumbsup:

16. The La Bella come in 2 gauges: 50-105 & 60-115. If you went with the larger set, you might have to widen the nut slots. Maybe. I have both sizes and they’re excellent.

C Stone likes this.
  17. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    GHS Precision Flats don't go bad,you just need to turn the tone knob back up a hair. Unless you smear mayonnaise or peanut butter on your fingers, they ought to last at least a couple of years. I had to replace a set when I bought a bass with rounds, and wanted to hear it with my twenty year old set. The G broke at the machine head. I like the 45-105 on both my fretless P and my SCPB

C Stone likes this.
  18. ancjr

ancjr Guest

Sep 9, 2004
    Even though I have previously ranted against silks of any color... the 9050 silks are a perfect compliment to the roasted maple neck on my Sire V5. :thumbsup:

Root 5 and C Stone like this.
  19. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Fender flats have more of a surf green silk.

Brent's Groove and ancjr like this.
  20. Fender 9050 on J (800x450).jpg

DaveDeVille likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021