Flatwound Baritone Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jeff Bonny, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Anyone ever hear of a set of flatwound baritone strings? None of my searching has turned up anything so far.
    Thanks. -jeff
  2. Brian Fox

Brian Fox

Aug 23, 2004
    Editor, BASS PLAYER
    When I tried flats on my Danelectro, I just got a regular set of D'Addario Chromes (for guitar), and then special-ordered an individual low A string. I forget the gauge offhand, but there you go.

They're hard to find, but La Bella makes a crazy 7-string set that's nylon tape-wound.

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks, I'll check that. I'da thought a regular guitar set would have been too short to make a 30" scale without some overhang on the windings. No?

4. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Ok, I know thiis kind of an old thread....but no I have never found a set of flatwound bari strings either. I am not so sure that they were ever available, until Fender came out with the Bass VI. In reseaching the history of the Dano, and in search of that "old flatwound Dano tawngy sound" I discovered that Nathan Daniel had used ROUNDWOUND strings on his 6-string basses. At least thats what the folks at D'Addario say. I guess if you want to minimize the finger squeaking sound that happens with roundwound strings, you can just swipe them a time or two with 400 grit sandpaper. That's a good trick I learned from Rick Turner.

Oh yes, and my bari is an old '64 Teisco 30" scale length, tuned A to A. When I first got it, it had flats on it.....had to go for new strings, the old ones were shot to heck, "she's dead Jim"! Now I'm using A GHS custom shop set with the same gauge for the E and high A strings.
  5. X-A_Macpherson

Aug 1, 2005
    This is going to seem odd to some of you, but then, I am odd. I wanted a baritone sound out of my Parker P-38. The reason for this is that I already play a six-string bass, and I didn't want to have to rethink my playing everytime I picked up my Parker. I chose flatwounds because I hate string squeal, and I already have Thomastik-Enfeld's JF346 Jazz Flatwounds on my bass, and I love their sound. So after searching around, I found the D'Addario Chromes ECG-24-7. This is a seven-string set of chromes. I now have my Parker strung with these from the bottom up, discarding the highest string. This gives me a tuning of B-E-A-D-G-C, identical to my bass, only an octave higher. These strings may not be long enough for a true baritone, but if you have an extra guitar, you might like the result.

Now I have just brought a Samick Tommy Allsup Limited-Edition Signature guitar. You probably won't find any info on it on the internet, unless you really search for it. This is essentially a LaSalle with a blonde body. Very pretty! So now I am getting ready to do the same thing with it as I did with the Parker. But I am thinking of using the D'Addario ECG26's instead, and then detuning it to B-E-A-D-G-C as well. Although, thanks to a comment on this page, I may also try a set of XL157'S and try sanding them as suggested.