1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwound Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gfh218, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Does anyone know of a flatwound string brand that can be strung through the body without braking?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Labella.

3. Minor quibble: not all Labellas are designed for through-body, but there are Labellas specifically designed for it.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    An imprecise answer to an imprecise question. We both failed.

Pilgrim likes this.
  5. La Bella is the only company who explicitly warns against thru-body installation for their standard Deep Talkin' Flats.

Most people around here will tell you they've had no issues with their flats being strung thru-body.

BEADG63, Rock Salad and Root 5 like this.
  6. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I have used TI's, Chromes and EB Cobalts strung through the body and have never had any problems.

Gizmot, Bodeeni, Rock Salad and 3 others like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think you can string through most flats but labella's winds are really close together and more probe to breakage, although it's not a guarantee.

8. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I've had Dunlop flats on my through-body Mustang for several months with no ill effects, and I've also tried GHS Precision Flats, and they seemed fine. I also know that lots of people use Chromes in similar basses.

9. The trick with putting flats thru-body is to leave them well enough alone once they're installed. Avoid uninstalling and reinstalling.

Rock Salad, 808P123, Thibby and 2 others like this.
  10. Unfortunately, my one experience with flat string(LaBella) breakage came in the middle of a gig. Don't want a repeat. Most unpleasant.

11. This is why it's always been my personal preference to top-load all flats regardless of brands. Whatever negligible benefits the thru-body installation may provide simply aren't worth the potential risk.

I do realize some basses only have the thru-body option, in which case it would probably be wise to stay away from La Bella DTF's (760xx), except for the thru-body (TB) version.

Root 5 likes this.
  12. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I've run D'Adarrio Chromes through one of my basses for some time with no issue. I put some RotoSound flats on my 6 string - but they didn't stay on or get a lot of play.

13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Why string through? It offers no benefit.

michael_t likes this.
  14. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    Northern Ireland.
    Ernie Ball Group lll Flatwound 45 - 100 I have them on my Yamaha BB734

15. The BB734 has a unique thru-body design that allows the strings to be installed through the body diagonally from the saddle toward the bottom of the body with no break angle in between instead of the two break angles created by the traditional Fender-style design. I really like what Yamaha has done.

16. Scott strings his basses through body. He almost always plays chrome flats.

17. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Well, it offers the benefit of not having a bass with no strings at all - if the bass is string-thru only. And, yes, they're out there... Otherwise? I agree with you..:cool:

18. I have two basses with through-body (JMJ Mustang and an MIA P) and I use chromes on both, never an issue. Also the JMJ came with Fender 9050s and those seemed fine, although I took them off pretty quick so who knows.

19. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    In the Zone

Cobalt Flat G string is the only string that BG01 will NOT accept as string through. Tried 2x with 2 different G’s and they both failed.
    HUGE Thank You to EB for stepping up with a new set and a new G (that failed as well).
    The new set is now on my Nordy

Weird, because TI’s, La Bella’s and Galli’s nickel strings are all a perfect string through - and I can switch back and forth with no issues.

Lesson Learned

69AAAF70-8598-4223-B859-CAE8000A90CD. BF111020-A732-4CB5-8A26-16B0E2BD82FF. 85DBF0B7-323E-4D5B-BA8E-72012F832ED2. 5AAD2C91-8A1B-4D64-8067-0E2608052FCB. AE91201F-36B8-49FC-AAF1-6881BF6C95B7. 4058412F-6B77-490F-86E6-E08B99E0B7A8.

A4E595E2-40F9-41D6-9EF6-7E156C3EE204.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  20. Fender 9050L's.. Work great thru and on top! :thumbsup:

InnerBass likes this.