1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwounds plucks hair out!?!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TreVice, Nov 7, 2019.

1. TreVice

TreVice

Jan 13, 2012
    DFW
    anyone else have this issue??? Just put on some flatwounds recently (1st time flatwound user) on 2 of my basses. I love how silky smooth they play but occasionally (at least once every time I play the bass) the string will PLUCK one of my arm hairs out! It feels like a little shock but low and behold there is a little hair between the string wounds as evidence to this crime. Thoughts? Does this happen only on the cheap flatwound strings? (yes I usually buy cheap strings, EB, DR, etc)

Thanks in advance!

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    No.
    Edit: I meant no not me. Can't speak for others but My arm hair gets nowhere near my strings.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Frenchy-Lefty, ruju, bpc and 12 others like this.
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    If there is a gap a hair can get caught in it.

Some flats have less space between the windings and you will not experience that.

macmanlou and Iristone like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How are the strings coming into contact with the parts of your arms that have hair?

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Jaco palm slide?

6. Exactly my question. Either the OP is a gorilla or he plays in a very unorthodox manner.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm a hairy dude but it's on the top of my arm. There's some on the under side but that never touches the strings either.

BrentSimons and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  8. TreVice

TreVice

Jan 13, 2012
    DFW
    on stage usually, between songs, maybe bending down to grab a water bottle or shoot I don't know. but it happens. not in the middle of actually playing it

bpc, BrentSimons, quickfix and 5 others like this.
  9. TreVice

TreVice

Jan 13, 2012
    DFW
    not long hair, but I do have hair on my forearms. maybe thats the problem? do most people not have hair on forearms?

RiffwRiter, BrentSimons and Real Soon like this.
  10. TreVice

TreVice

Jan 13, 2012
    DFW
    hah, no not gorillia. I'll just be standing there with my arms down between a song maybe for a few seconds and "ding!" ouch! ***!?

11. The term is lo & behold & I recommend changing your technique.

12. What specific flatwounds?

Some flats have tiny little gaps between windings, while others are more tightly wound.

13. TreVice

TreVice

Jan 13, 2012
    DFW
    thanks, as I was typing it, it looked wrong but didn't feel like googling it to interrupt my post. lol

and as for technique... I may indeed have to change where I rest my arms between songs and change how I grab water bottles, etc. but seriously... you never touch your strings with your forearm while grabbing something or relaxing between riffs? I mean I never noticed what I was doing until the bass with flats started snatching hairs off of me... grrrr

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  14. TreVice

TreVice

Jan 13, 2012
    DFW
  15. The EB Cobalt Flat do have gaps in between. They do that on purpose to achieve a degree of flexibility. As far as flats go, the tighter the winding, the stiffer they are.

Tony In Philly and TreVice like this.
  16. TreVice

TreVice

Jan 13, 2012
    DFW
    hmm, gotcha. sounds like I may have to test out another brand to see if its worth it. or start waxxing my forearms. lol

Bassaga likes this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Shaving will also let you play faster. Just like swimmers and cyclists. ;)

18. TreVice

TreVice

Jan 13, 2012
    DFW
    sweeeet lol

19. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    that's happened to me too OP, you're not alone :D

20. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Steamy Florida
    e·lec·trol·y·sis
    /əˌlekˈträləsəs/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    1. 1.
      CHEMISTRY
      chemical decomposition produced by passing an electric current through a liquid or solution containing ions.

2. 2.
      the removal of hair roots or small blemishes on the skin by the application of heat using an electric current.

wishforbass and EatS1stBassist like this.