1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwounds sustain and downtune issue

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by oopercent, Dec 17, 2017.

1. oopercent

oopercent

Mar 20, 2012
    Moscow, Russia
    Hi everybody!
    I have an issue with flatwounds strings. The sustain is shorter that on the roundwounds of course, but I’m curious with fast decay, some times it works wrong in slow riffs that I play, and in case that my band has no guitar (drums/bass/vox) it could be problem with slow riffage.

Does anybody can give me advice how I could make sustain longer, without jumping to roundwounds (not really love the sound of rounds)?

My current setup is GL L2000 with La Bella’s Gold flats 065-085-105-128, tuned to C-F-A#-F.

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you!

cazclocker likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I don't understand your issue. My five year old GHS Precision flats easily give me 12 beats of good strong sustain in a slow 80 bpm blues.

AshInAmsterdam, Pops OB and BEADG63 like this.
  3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yeah well they sucked hard for downtuning for every gig I've used them on, as did Labella. The only flats I've found somewhat suitable for downtuning are Chromes, and I don't even really like Chromes. That nice balance that GHS's and Labella's have at standard pitch turns into a wet fart at even a half step down, IME.

4. petrus61

You said it yourself. You don't understand OP's issue.

Lo-E and Linnin like this.
  5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Maybe try Chromes? They have plenty more sustain than other flats I've tried.

Aqualung60 and physics like this.
  6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    IME, some flats actually come alive when slack tuned. Others die.

DR Legends thrive slack tuned, and Chromes do pretty well too.

Alternatively, TIs lose all that wonderful TI-ness, and LaBellas thump extra hard, losing definition.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That's right. Flatwounds have so much sustain they have to be muted. Leo Fender put mutes in his bridge covers. Other bass players use palm muting. I mute with a combination of my fretting and plucking hand. Take your pick. It's not the strings fault. It's the player's.

8. petrus61

Makes sense...at standard pitch. Are you using the same tuning cited by the OP? It has absolutely nothing to do with muting and everything to do with the behavior of a flatwound when tuned down. Leo Fender never designed his basses or the strings that went on them with the tunings presented here in mind. You're so completely off base I'm wondering if you bothered reading the OP, or if you just blindly wandered in to espouse the virtues of GHS again.

S-Bigbottom and RickyT like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    No. A half step or a whole step down makes no difference. Any further than that simply use a BEAD string setup. No sweat. Why do so many make so much bull hockey out of so little?

Loring and SRX Benny like this.
  10. petrus61

Now you've confirmed you are completely unqualified to comment on this topic. Have fun with your perpetual campaign of bias and misinformation.

11. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Same here...I have no such issues with flats (or tapewounds, for that matter)

Linnin likes this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    See? Here's the reality.

13. Are you using any compression? I don't use flatwounds, but I feel like it would solve the issue.

14. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    How close are your pickups to the strings?

I’m guessing here, but MFD pickups may have a stronger magnetic field than standard pickups, which may affect your string’s sustain.

My experience with MFD pickups is limited, but I remember they were extremely loud for a passive pickup.

Another factor maybe the string’s alloy is not as magnetic as steel or nickel strings.

I curious about this because I just bought a set of La Bella Gold flats.

HaphAsSard and Happy Face like this.
  15. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Try increasing the gauge of the strings, as the tuning you are using now isn't balanced with the gauges you have for optimal tension. Then again, to find single strings for different flatwound brands in that gauge with tension charts avaible are kinda hard and is better to experiment yourself, so then again maybe not.
    If you like the sound of the LaBella Gold strings, buy a nice compressor to easily solve the problem without much hassle with strings and the like.
    Good luck!

lowplaces likes this.
  16. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    AFAIK those are about the deadest flats you can get. Try Chromes or even pressurewounds. I have Chromes on one of my shortscales and I tune Db Gb B E - sustains for days :) .

17. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    Did you change to a heavier gauge of string than the previous strings?. When I went with thicker gauge on one of my basses I had to shave down the nut slightly for each string, on another bass I had issues with the bridge saddles and could have shaved the saddles but replaced the bridge anyway. Those two issues killed sustain.

AlexanderB likes this.
  18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have no sustain problem with drop E flat and D tuning on Labella 760FL , Fender 9050L and Sadowsky 40-100 flat.

19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: La Bella Are La DeadAh :smug:

20. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Time to pop a fresh batch of popcorn...;)

upload_2017-12-17_19-52-56.

Mannyinnewyork, Aqualung60 and Gt6s like this.