1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea Bass Street Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FleaAndTimmyC, May 11, 2011.

1. FleaAndTimmyC

FleaAndTimmyC

May 7, 2011
    What do you guys think about the flea bass street bass (FB-ST)? Sould i get this or a squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass? Both are about $300.

2. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    as with any thread that asks us to help someone choose between 2 basses, I'm going to suggest that you play both if you can. if you get a chance to A&B them you can really get a feel for how they play/ sound compared to one another. If you cant play one of them, look for some demos on Youtube (there are some for the standard fleabass, IDK about the street model).
    Given the recent improvements made by Squier in terms of Quality, I'd go with that. I played a regular fleabass and the sound didn't impress me. It felt pretty good, but it just wasn't for me. The squier should be able to cop both flea's and Timmy C's respective tones pretty well (not perfectly of course).
    The newer squiers I've played have all played and sounded pretty darn good.

3. FleaAndTimmyC

FleaAndTimmyC

May 7, 2011
    I am learning how to play so i can't really test them because I don't know what to look for. =(

4. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    Ah. Honesty, just play them (if you can) and see which feels more comfortable for your fretting hand. As far as sound goes, just fiddle with the knobs. That's all I did on my first bass (Washburn P bass copy). For someone just learning either bass will do. It just depends on which you can play with less effort. Hope this made some kind of sense.

5. I'd be inclined to go for a squier. I nearly bought a fleabass model 32 but at the last minute changed my mind and bought an ibanez. Before you buy anything, keep in mind what you'll be wanting to use the bass for (ie bedroom practice, eventually joining a band etc) then consider what sort of tone you would like. Something like a squier or ibanez is a lot more tonally versatile than the fleabass (IME) also consider build quality too - the fleabass does lag behind in fit and finish to a squier or ibanez. I don't think you'd be kicking yourself if you went for either of the latter.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Get the VM. The Fleabass has a reputation for being a really lousy bass.

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Watch some Youtubes of both. They have different sounds, pick the one that you like better.

Your Talk Bass name is Flea and Timmy C; both have played Jazz Basses and Stingrays (the Street Bass takes after the Stingray) in their careers. What recordings from Flea and Tim Commerford d you like best? What were they playing in those recordings?

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    That reputation here on Talk Bass comes mostly from one review of one bass that turned into a bash Flea thread.

9. I haven't had the opportunity to find and play a Fleabass yet but if I were in the market to buy, I would try to hunt one down. I like my j-basses but prefer my ATK and OLP MM2 much more because of their feel and the sounds I can get from them. The Fleabass seems to be closer to what I prefer in a bass than a Squier Jazz.

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It's not just on TB. I've played it myself and thought it was pretty horrid (but YMMV). To me, there's no comparison. The Squier VM's and CV's are the basses to go for in the = or < $350 range.

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I beg to differ.

I've played few "Flea" basses in stores up in LA - they weren't the worst bass I picked up that day, but they were overpriced and under-featured.

Mediocre is what lept to mind.

12. Go and try them. If you put your index finger of your fretting hand on the first fret and your pinky finger on the third or fourth fret, you should be able to gauge how comfortable it will be to play even if you are a novice.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd go with the Squier. It's more like a real bass.

14. Try to score a used MusicMan Stingray-- both artists did their best work on that bass (for me, RHCP ceases to exist after BSSM).

Louis Johnson also played a Stingray, as does Blasko (bassist for Rob Zombie, then Ozzy). It is one of those rare basses that can both funk it up, and snarl like a rabid Hellhound.

15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Squier VMs were a pleasant surprise and definitely the best bass you can get in that price range. If I need a cheap J beater that'll be the first instrument I turn to.

The Flea Bass would be good if you modded everything on it; it's horrible stock. The pickup is very muddy and cheap sounding, the tuners were wonky, and I felt like I was playing on a toy.