1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea on The Mars Volta

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jmcdan3, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    Gotta love his playing on Deloused. Anyone know what his rig was like then? That is Flea at his finest-very tasteful melodic playing....Awesome!!!:bassist:

2. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    Flea and Mars Volta? huh?
    but anyways I know Flea usually plays GK rigs thorugh a J Bass

3. stoo

stoo

Nov 10, 2003
    http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_mars_volta/

4. For the Mars Volta album, he used a precision bass through an ampeg rig. He came to the recording session with his normal gear but Omar (the guitar player that also does all the composition) had a specific sound in his head and asked him to play that gear. The result is pretty neat actually, it's pleasent not to hear flea with his usually pretty thin sound.

edit

oops wasn't fast enough

5. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'm going to see them in April...heh :D

6. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    i love my precision!!!! he probably uses roundwounds on the album tho :(

7. flareaga

flareaga

Mar 1, 2007
    I've usually seen him with MusicMan's.

8. I know that on Frances the mute, Juan Alderete used a fretless precision with flats.

9. Deloused was all flats from what I could tell. Take The Viel Cerpin Taxt man have been fretless P... not sure. Flats make it a bit confusing.

Juan used his 70's fretless P with J pickup and fretted 70's P (which he recently sold on ebay) on Frances. Mya have had rounds on one or two songs.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Does anyone else think it pointless that Flea played on that album? Omar told him what to play... why didn't Omar play?

11. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Because then they couldn't say "LOOK! FLEA PLAYED HERE!"
    my guess is that it was a kind of a built in audience deal.

But I find Frances The Mute superior in almost every way, so what happened on Deloused doesn't really bother me.

12. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    thats the thing with the mars volta.. omar writes it all, so why not have him play every instrument on every song? because he may be able to write every part, but theres a certain feeling each member puts into the music, regardless of if they write it. when i first heard that omar pretty much controls the band i was a little bit bothered. but whatever works for them, works for them. they are one of the greatest bands alive today, so as long as they keep writing and performing amazing music, thats all that matters to us lowly musicians. cheers

13. mooney

mooney

Feb 9, 2005
    Quakertown, PA
    Omar liked what Flea did enough to continue to work with him. i find it hard to believe there's not a little bit of embellishing on the record. the bass feel is pretty different on this record compared to the other Volta records.
    sorry to say but this is the last record Flea played on that i liked.....

14. 1. I just saw TMV last night at the Miami Beach Filmore. I had seen them in NY when they first started touring for this new record. They're getting better (if that's possible) They throw in some jazzy jams and are ever more comfortable with interrupting their own songs with energy and tight perfection only to come back in in 10 minutes. Cedric kept asking for the bass to be turned up. Good thing too. Chest cavities started shaking after that...

2. If I'm not mistaken their bassist died while on tour with RHCP. I would be more inclined to believe that they had Flea play because he offered and is an incredible musician. I doubt they wanted/needed to say that they had Flea play on the album. few people who don't read these forums even know that.

15. mooney

mooney

Feb 9, 2005
    Quakertown, PA
    no it was their "Sound Manipulator" that died, and it was after Deloused was released....

16. cathal

cathal

Mar 21, 2007
    London, England.
    he was at the drive in guitarist

i think flea on deloused was solid but too quiet, and was not as effected as i
    juan and omar are

17. Completely agree...Omar is a total spaz and thinks he's way better than he really is! He seriously one of the sloppiest players I've ever seen!

18. For the record, Juan writes his own parts.

Omar does mostly everything... except the bass parts.

19. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i completely disagree with those who say that omar should play it all. that's like suggesting becker and fagan should have played everything on steely dan stuff.

this line of thought suggests that guitarists can do anything bassists do, which i strongly disagree with. i know that there are solid guitar/bass doublers out there, but this does not apply to everyone: they are different instruments. typically, violists don't play to play violin, trombonists don't play trumpet... even organists can tell when a pianist is on there instrument and vice versa. though electric guitars and electric basses are similar, one must study the idiosyncrasies of an instrument to be truly proficient (not all electric bassists can play fretless electric bass or upright well, not all electric guitarists sound good on acoustic). why should omar be expected to play bass just because he wrote the part (especially with flea's execution)? as someone who is weak on just about every other instrument (guitar included), i give props to omar for having a "bassist" interpret his idea.

flea & frusciante are friends with omar & cedric... this is the same reason that friends ask me to do sessions. also, omar may know that he is sloppy, and bassists can't be sloppy on his hyper-groove music.

moreover, i see omar's recruitment of flea (and later juan) as a recognition that flea adds something to the music through the his translation of omar's lines (groove?).

though the mars volta is kind of a two headed beast (cough, steely dan, cough...) they keep that band vibe going by not playing it all... for me, the product speaks for itself.

20. moatilliatta

moatilliatta

Sep 24, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Usually it's Omar writing the bass actually... From http://www.bassplayer.com/article/back-track/mar-05/3354 :

"I work out certain structured things, like lines that are going to be looped, in advance with Omar. My role is then to interpret those parts as I see fit, to give them what I feel they need. For some parts, though, he actually let me write the bass lines. Of course, anything that’s improvised is straight from me."