1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flea's current distortion pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ghostrider, Aug 8, 2012.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
    I checked out some recent rhcp recordings and Flea's new distortion sounds terrible to my ears. Any thoughts on it?

2. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    This rig rundown is pretty recent and shows him using a Melekko B:assmaster along with his old MXR Micro Amp (jump ahead to about 5:35). Not sure what you're hearing on the record, though.

3. aens_wife

aens_wife Commercial User

Jun 14, 2011
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    Ugh. I know I'm in the minority most places, but I really don't like the B:Assmaster on bass. I haven't heard Flea using it, but if that is the tone, then I'm with you.

It is ok on guitar, I guess. We borrowed one from Devi Ever a while back and I just couldn't get into it. Not nearly enough low end for me and not nearly as thick as I like.

4. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    When I first heard the new album I thought his tone overall was awful. I assumed it was because of the switch to acoustic though because I had no problem with his GK tone. So maybe that could be what you're hearing too.

5. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
    Yeah I'm talking about his tone live cause when he hits the distortion, the sound is grating to my ears. It sounds very thin.

6. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
    Whatever distortion pedal he's using live sounds terrible to me.

7. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
    Yeah I prefer the gk over the acoustic, but live his tone with distortion sounds terrible to me

8. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
  9. Flump

Flump

Feb 20, 2012
    I just saw them at Lolla a few days ago, and the distortion at the beginning of Around the world was exactly like you describe it. Extremely thin and harsh.

10. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    Well last I saw him (two months ago at Bonnaroo) he was back to GK. I honestly can't remember if he used distortion at all during the show, but maybe someone else who's seen them recently can chip in?

11. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    Was he using his GK or Acoustic rig?

12. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Well he DID used to use an ODB-3, so go figure!

13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I think it was established that he only used the Acoustic rig live (for a while). For all we know, the album was recorded with his GK rig or something else entirely. And yes, he is back to using GK live, the Acoustic affair was short lived.

14. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Sounds okay to me. Not my favorite distortion tone ever, but I think it sounds decent enough.

15. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Sounds fine. Consider that his bass is a Modulus Funk. That's what might be bothering you.

16. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    that's definitely the assmaster in those videos. Sounds like it with a good amount of clean blend.

Twangy highs with a ugly sounding midrange honk in the fuzz.

17. tigerbass

tigerbass Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    I couldn't agree more.

18. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
    No I like the tone of a modulus, but his switch from his boss pedal to that malekko(?) pedal was a bad choice. It just sounds bad to me.