1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flipping the finger on a gig, and other questionable behaviour

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 4-string, Oct 19, 2010.

1. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    It is never my intention, but I tend to give people the finger when I play octaves. :scowl::)

Here's a couple of pics, first one from a club gig:

finger1.jpg

And then one from last year's Christmas concert:

finger2.jpg

Please share your gig oddities. :)

2. lol!

3. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Awesome! I tend to do the same thing! The drummer questioned me once during a break at one of the first gigs I played with them... he wondered who in the audience pissed me off. :D

4. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    I do it with my right hand :D

[​IMG]

5. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Hehe, cool! :)

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Clapton birds bigtime with is left hand while playing.

7. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Yeah, anybody who plays octaves quickly and uses the index as the primary player will typically do that. I know I do.

8. I do it deliberately. One of our songs has a part that says "But she gave him the finger" which is all open A. So i throw it in there too add to the overall performance of the song, and to add some fun.

Liam

9. I loves me some blackdethcountry!

10. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    he wore a blue "classic" star trek shirt with that hat at one show. We came up the name for a side project.. "Redneck Vulcan" :bassist:

11. Idiosyncracies rule!

Dig the bass as well, but you look sort of sad, almost like you regret flipping us all off. That act of contrition is much appreciated (from the audience's point of view)

12. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    I'm sad because there's not much of an audience. We were too loud for them :)

And yes.. with us, idiosyncrasies abound!

13. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    I alternate index/ring a lot, so I endup with the same effect.
    I curve my left middle on octaves though. Maybe I'm doing it wrong!:D

14. If I find myself in Florida, I will seek you out. Based on this correspondence alone it'll be worth the ticket price.

15. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    If you give me prior notice, we'll break out the "Your Love" by the Outfield cover we've been working right after some nice, hard and heavy songs!

16. Funny enough that it was at church but even funnier that it was at Christmas! Has anyone at your church commented to you about it?

17. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Ever held your bass by the lower horn with the bottom strap button against your shoulder and gestured like you're mowing down the audience with a machine-gun?

18. Only when I am rocking out to Poison unplugged in my living room. The kids seem to dig it!

19. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    Yes... during our cover of the Trooper..... :scowl:

20. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Nothing like Christmas spirit. :)

It's not my church, I was just a hired gun. I've been asked to do it again this year though, so I'm home free. :bassist: