Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flites are the shizznit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigfatbass, Mar 8, 2006.

1. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Too bad they are so hard to get ahold of! Even the phone number on their website has been disconnected, lol.

I couldn't believe I found the first one used last year, and I just got the second one Monday. Holy crap I am in heaven. The bottom Flite is loaded with a 500w Kappa Pro LF (low frequency) and the top with a regular Kappa Pro. Once I found the sweet spot on the shockingly front mounted mid boost/cut (imagine putting a tonal adjustment feature where you can reach it! Hello? Ampeg?) this thing just lights up the room. Huge, punchy, and full of low B rumble. Of course it's not the growlingest thing around if you want that super jazzy sound, but it has a surprisingly gnarly slap tone for a 2x15 rig. That little mid driver has a lot more spank than I expected.

Sorry for the crappy pic, I'll replace it with a better one soon.

[​IMG]

If you drop one from more than 3 feet on a corner it will probably crack like balsa, but they sound GREAT and are plain stunningly light. I'll take my chances, for sure.

Top to bottom:

Luggage handle-style SKB Roto-Rack ($80) with 2500w power amp (POS Behringer $280) an RBI ($240 scratched demo) = 70lbs
    Flite 155 = 28lbs (used from Tony Moore $360)
    Flite LF = 36lb (used from a TBer $260)

Total weight = 134lbs
    Total cost = $1220

First gig with it is tonight, can't wait!

My cabinet GAS has been officially alka-seltzered for a while. Now if I can just swap out that Behringer for a Stewart 1.2.........

Anybody else put together a stack made to shake the butt without breaking the back or the bank?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nice looking rig, STW. Looks like its right at home at Casa Blanco. The first Flite sounded great when I last heard it...and that PJB rig slipped out from under you right quick.

As you know, my choice these days:

Schroeder 1212
    Mesa 400+

Once you add in the rack it came out a bit more $$$ at $1450 (weighs in at about 130lbs). But it fits in my car with room for 3 people... :)

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I like pairing the Schroeder w/ a tube head, I think that type of combination sounds really good togeather and is sort of small/ lightweight.

Schroeder 1210
    Trace Elliot V4

$1300 and ~97lbs. but smallish footprint and way loud.

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    We got to get a Syracuse bassfest together brother Bill. Between you and me we have a mountain of gear and basses, we just have to rope Mike Ranger in to supply a vintage flip-top or two, lol.

Whatchoo got going on next week? Care to compare the Schroeder to the Flites in a neighbor scaring frenzy?

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    :)

I kin prob'ly arrange something...I dunno what your time is looking like, but I'm workin' days. My best times during the week are Tuesday and Thursday nite...and I'm good for anytime days during either weekend.

I'm happy to show with the Dingwall, PRS etc. too.

6. kitman

kitman

Sep 13, 2006
    Do they also have a basreflex hole on the back?I like to buy one but can't get one

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Neat looking rig man.
    Never had any Flites around here to audition...

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For anyone in the NE this weekend. Look for BFB's Flites and my 1212/400+ to be at the CNY GTG. Also look for Villiette, Michael Tobias and Mike Dimin to be there. :)

All are welcome!