1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flying with NS- Omni or CR

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Aarongermain, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Aarongermain

Aarongermain

Apr 27, 2005
    Hello,
    I am getting very interested in getting an NS as my travel bass, but I am torn between the Omni or CR. I play but upright and electric so scale isn't an issue. I'm told that you can put any upright strings on a CR so it is much more possible to get thump and generally authentic upright bass tones, than on the omni. Definitely a plus for me.
    However my main question is flight. There is no question that the omni looks fantastic for flight. It seems that it would fit in the overhead even easier than a bass guitar. But what about the CR?
    Does anyone have experience flying with it?
    Has anyone gotten it to fit in overhead?
    Has anyone gotten charged for checking it in?
    Thank you

2. Kyungsoo Hwang

Kyungsoo Hwang

May 17, 2009
    I traveled with NS Bass in airplane Boston to Seoul, few month ago.
    I put my NS Bass inside Flight Hardcase.

NS Bass itself is too big to put in overhead cabin even in gig bag.

There was no additional charge with NS BASS in Flight Hardcase when I made baggage check in.

The size and weight of NS Bass+Flight case is just fit into regulation.

I have no idea on Omni, however I always put my Fender Jazzbass into overhead cabin easily.
    Is Omni bigger than Fender Jazzbass?

3. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've flown with my NS CR4M within the United States without any issues at all. I bought the "hard case" from Gollihur music, which is actually for skis, but the bass plus it's soft case fit very well inside it. I was able to "gate check" the bass right before boarding the plane and didn't have to pay any extra fees.

Even with the ability to put any upright bass strings on the NS, it's still very much it's own beast with its own sound.

-Pat

4. hensonbass

hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I travelled with an 5-String Omni bass and it fit in all the airplane overheads with ease. Might be interested in selling mine...PM me if interested.

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    PMed.

6. ficelles

ficelles Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I've flown transatlantic with my old NS Wav4 as hand luggage. In the gig bag it fits in a double length overhead locker. Continental were very helpful about it and I felt much happier having my bass where I could see it! The downside is you spend a lot of time telling people what's in the bag...
    ficelles

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    OP, I do believe you're confusing your categories... :eyebrow:

"Omni" and "CR" are not opposite categories, but rather CR is a version of instrument that's available as either an Omni Bass, or as an NS EUB. The Omni Bass is available as either an NXT model or as a CR model. The EUB is available as an NXT model, as a CR model, or as an EU model.

NS Design instruments

MM

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    To further clarify - "CR" is presumably short for "Czech Republic," which indicated that the instruments were made in NS Design's own Czech-based factory. This distinction is less important, since the NXTs are also built in the same factory (as opposed to the WAV4 which was built in China).

That said, I can understand the OP calling the bass-sized instrument a "CR" since it is the only consistent part of the designations for the bass-sized instruments:

CR4M, CR5M, CR-T, etc.

But yes, for the purpose of the question, there is
    • A CR-Series Omni Bass
    • An NXT-Series Omni Bass
    • A CR-Series Double Bass
    • An NXT-Series Double Bass

To respond to the question, though - while I own a "full-sized" NS Bass (and have played every model) I've never flown with it. I would sincerely doubt that a full-sized NS Bass would fit in overhead. The coat closet in the front, perhaps (and if they let you).

But if you need pertinent dimensions, let me know. There are also options for hard cases for travel.

9. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN