1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FOAM MUTE

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by redhed, May 11, 2011.

1. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    Just wondering if anyone can recomend what to use for a string mute under the strings of my P-BASS

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You've posted this thread in the DOUBLE BASS FORUM by mistake. This thread should have been posed in the electric bass forum.

3. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I've used rectangular strips of various kinds of foam: furniture foam and shipping foam. The best was some foam from inside a box in which a microphone was packaged. I put it between the top of the bass (P-bass or Rogue Hofner violin bass knock-off) and the underside if the strings. The foam was cut to about 5 mm too high and cradles each string. The greater the width of the strip (bridge-to-nut) the greater the degree of muting. Mine's a cm and a half wide. Good foam won't harm your finish.

4. If you have a bridge cover on you P then one thing that works really well is the foam that goes under a single-coil guitar pickup, like those on a Strat. Just stick it on the bridge cover right where the strings meet the saddles. Go to your local music shop and ask if they have any extras, I'm sure they'll give you one if you ask.

5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I stuff a sock under my strings next to the bridge as a string mute haha. Works well and is a great conversation starter!

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I use a hunk of foam I cut out of a padded shipping envelope. You know the plastic ones that you poke a hole in to expand the padding? It's the perfect thickness, and sponginess. Plus, it was FREE!

7. Try looking on eBay for "The Muffler" it's not that expensive and works really well. Makes for a great double bass type of sound as well as the Motown sound. I dig it!

8. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    If your bass has a nitro finish, just make sure that the foam material does not chemically react with the finish.

9. One of the good things about "The Muffler" it's foam covered with a felt type material. I can't imagine it having a problem with nitro. I hope not because its on my brand new nitro'd VP5 :eek:

10. You don't actually need to stick the mute to the body of the bass - put it where I did - it just works very well.

100_7516.

11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Here's another example. I use a thin rubber-foamy material woven through the strings. Works great. Simpler to use palm muting against the bridge if you only require occasional muting.

[​IMG]

12. Disposable diaper such as Huggies or Pampers. My daughter's newborn sizedones worked great. Got theidea from when Tony Levin used one on Peter Gabriel's SO CD.
    Don't for get when you use a mute to retune.

13. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    +1 to the microphone box foam. My mutes come from an EV mic box I have had for 20 years. The box fell apart a long time ago, but the foam still looks like new. It is very dense and just perfect for this.

14. +1 to the foam from the mic box...I use some stuff I got from a tube box.

15. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
  16. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn

Mar 21, 2010
    West Virginia
    I use round weatherstrip foam that's about 3/4 inch diameter. Comes in a long coil from hardware store. Just tear off the length you need. Like it cause it's easy to move up of down to adjust the muting. Gives a very slight mute effect, cause it's smooth and doesn't grip the strings and it fades after a while so you'll need to take it off when done so it will return to shape.

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I use leftover the foam from air conditioning insulation - basically the same stuff as what comes in mic boxes. Anything dense, but soft enough to mold from the pressure from the strings. I have a couple of different size, so I can play with the amount of mute.

18. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use the grey foam from computer hard drive boxes...it's just the right density & softness and easily cuts with scissors.

JulienP. likes this.