1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Focus 2R III and 2 8ohm cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Apr 15, 2006.

1. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    I'm thinking about buying another 1x8 instead of a 2x8 and then having one on a stand or just stacked and aimed in slightly different directions. Will this run well if I take each of the speakon conectors on the focus III nd run to a different 8ohm cab? Will it be something to try or a "what's he doin' that for?" I seem to remember Tom B. saying that 2 1x8's (LDS) sounded about like a 2x8? Are their any phase issues at that end of the signal (as opposed to 2 signals)
    And is there any way to run the focus like a solstice, isolating the pick up and mic to seperate speakers?( I dont think there is)
    Thanks

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I ran my Focus II like that a number of times, and it worked great: I had them both up on a stand with the upper one aiming towards me and the lower one atg the drummer. It worked great...like a directional 2x8! can't wait to try this with my new Focus III.

Not that I know of.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    Yes, if you have a series III Focus and use another power amp. Page 6 of the Series III Focus and Clarus manuals addresses stereo operation. You release the Ch 2 button and use the Effects Send jack from channel 2 to route it to a second amplifier.

4. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmmm...interesting.

One of the things I like about the Solstice operation is that you can take the microphone-only straight out, to feed to a PA for instance, while still feeding the combination of mic and pick-up to your amp.

This is ideal for my situation, and I would buy a Solstice except that I don't want to have to carry and set-up an extra piece of equipment. Is a similar function available from the new AI series? (I have my eye one one of the new combos, perhaps, once they are more available.)

5. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Yes. Both channel's effects loops are in parallel, not series, so you can take a line from one or both channels,with their original individual signals intact, and take them to other devices, exactly as you suggest. You'd still have the blended signal at the output of the AI (series III) head or combo.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Very cool...I didn't know this!

7. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    wow, Thanks bob. I just tried that. I sent signal from the mic to a small PA and the mix to my cab. I really like having the mic coming from a different source. Would it over tax the amp to send the outs to two different 1x8 8ohm cabs and then that effects out to a powered PA...It shouldn't right?

8. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Should not be any problem at all.

9. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's exactly the way I'd plan on using it...mic and pick-up mixed to 2 cabs (mine are 4 Ohm each, and work fine with my old series 1 Clarus) and a mic-only output to the PA.

Thanks for the info, Bob - but now I'm running out of excuses not to upgrade my amp :meh: