Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fodera basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yomchi247, Sep 6, 2004.

1. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    just wondering if anyone has played a Victor Wooten model Fodera, and what you thought of them...most specifically the difference between the classic and the bolt on model, and how much I could expect to pay...I emailed fodera for a price list, but haven't got a reply.
    I'm looking at getting a 4 string, and was looking to get some opinions...is it worth the money?

2. IcoHolic

IcoHolic

Aug 31, 2004
    I think the Wooten Fodera is something retarded like $5000 - $7000.

I can't for the life of me figure out why on earth anyone would buy a bass that costs that much.

3. the retail price for a quilt or flame top vic wooten fodera is around $5900, not sure what they actually go for though. the ones with the ying yang paint job list for about $7300.

anything fodera is going to be generally very expensive, but very nice too.

4. I would estimate about 20-25% off list is what you'll pay. Of course, that depends on the individual retailer.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fodera doesn't generally respond to emails. You'd have to call them directly. My suggestion is that you speak with the boys at www.thegrooveshop.com though. They can answer any and all of your questions. They'll respond to your emails right away if you prefer that method of contact.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've played the set neck model. Very nice bass, but IMO not $5000 nice, no way. Overall excellent construction - but I've seen far less expensive basses built just as well. Low action - again, you can get low action for far less $. OK tone, although this is completely subjective. I thought it had very good slap tone, but I couldn't coax a "chewy" fingerstyle tone out of it. I felt the EMGs contributed to a very bright and clear high end, but possibly diminished some midrange qualities. For the rich and wealthy seeking to imitate Victa's tone, this bass may be the holy grail, but for me it wouldn't be a bargain at 1/2 the price.

7. In essence, you are paying for victor's name. In my opinion. It's still a VERY VERY nice instrument though.

8. ...

Aug 30, 2004
    come on baby make it hurt so good

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Said it before, I'll say it again - I didn't expect to NEED $7300 (list) worth of bass (Expect to pay a little less, but not much, thru a retailer). I just thought it looked freakin' cool, and of course am a Vic fan. Not even a super-proficient Vic fan even. But I played it, ONCE, and had to have it. It makes me play better, it truly does. Arguably any really good bass could do that, but none to date had done it.

Unfortunately, I dont have any experience with the bolt-on. For the difference in price, I'm willing to bet the bolt neck version is even better bang-for-buck-wise.

10. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    :hyper: I have six Foderas,and their worth every penny!!! :hyper:

11. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    I don't get paying that much for a semi-factory bass myself, when you could get a Browne and a Huff, or a Huff and two Nordstrands for that kinda cash. I mean I've heard a lot of good things aboot Fodera, (never play'd one.) But when you talk to some of these small-but-well-respected custom builders, you realize that:

1: They REALLY know their stuff
    2: They will make you the bass YOU want, top to bottom. No having to settle for ANYTHING.
    3: Every cent you pay is spent on quality, materials and craftsmanship. No paying for ANYONE'S name. Often, not even the name on the headstock, (I.E. wanting a Fender just because it's a Fender. C'monnnn. It's happened to all of us.)
    4: You can often make a really good friend in the process.

But that's just me. And if you can get a bass that will make you genuinely happy off-the-shelf, then hey; more power to ya, man. You just save'd yourself six months to two years.

But do think aboot it...

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :eyebrow: I'm sorry John, how many did you say????? :crying: Speaking out of jealousy, I'd love to have just one. :hyper:

I believe that if you have the money than there's no doubt that a Fodera is worth every penny. I've played Victor's four string. I've played Matt Garrison's 5 string. I've played many others. I will say from experience that noone builds a bass like that. There are many great luthiers out there and we are very lucky that we live in a time to have so many options. The fact is that Vinny Fodera has been building basses for a very long time and nothing can compete with experience. Try one, you'll understand.

By the way John, I just got a Glockenklang Sould Top. Everything I've ever heard in my head for sound is in that amp. :bassist:

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    By the way, the yin and yang design of the top, is *not* paint. It's two different woods cut and fitted against each other, holly and ebony... (or purpleheart and pau amarillo, as in Vic's 5-string)

14. which is amazing.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Only two???

PHHHAH!!! Take your measley two-piece VW and go home!! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

16. Wyman

Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Obviously Conklin's custom shop is one of the best around...but have you seen their Rocco Prestia model? It isn't made of 18 different flavors of wood, but man is it sexy :D

[​IMG]

17. PSHH! puh-lease, dont make me whip out the rainbow-wishbass :p

18. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma

the ying yang isn't a paint job. it is two different types of wood glued together like JT's doubleneck conklin

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'm sure JT would apprecaite his doubleneck being referred to as "two different types of wood glued together". It really captures the essence of the bass ;) :D

20. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Milk is fine, i can live with that.. But beer coming out the nose, **** !