Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fodera serial number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Oct 20, 2004.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Have been waiting since last Thursday for a response, so I am posing this to you guys.

So I have this fodera contrabass with this serial.

c61253N
    Jan 10,1997

I was told it was an Anthony Jackson Contrabass, but one of the guys who is interested in it seems to think that the serial indicates it might not be.

I'd like to know either way for honesty purposes. Hopefully I will hear back, but right now both of us (he has gone the email route, I went the phone route, neither of us has had success yet) are in limbo due to this info, and I have an offer from another person. However, the guy questioning the serial was first, and he has dibs. Assuming that I really don't have to wait too much longer.

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Lamar,

It looks like an AJ to me.

Joel

3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Joel, thank you very much, i know you know your Foderas!

Talkbass rules, thanks!

4. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    \
    c61253N - this is an AJ Contrabass

The C stands for ? Thought it was contrabass, but it is not.
    The 6 stands for six string bass
    The 1253 means that it is the 1253rd bass made by Fodera
    The N stands for Neck through body construction

Ben

5. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So, talked with Vinnie, and he was one really cool cat.

Anyways, what he said was the C in front of the serial means it is a custom job, so it is not a stock AJ. BUT, pretty much the difference is the bottom horn I think, as it has almost all the specs of an AJ besides that.

Very interesting. The serial was under the bridge, so I got a rub off of it. Hopefully no one will have to go through that again.

So, from what Vinnie said.

c=custom
    6= 6 string
    1253= 1253 instrument produced
    N= neck through

6. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    \
    Sorry about that, I didn't see the photo until just now. Yeah, that lower horn is downward sloping like an Emperor and definitely not like an AJ. Boy, that is a very attractive bass. The walnut looks so classy. So, "C" is custom? Then what do that AJs start with? "AJ"?

My two basses are Emperors: they both begin with "E". I just picked up a nice older Monarch 5 Elite yesterday. Will be taking delivery tomorrow morning. I can't wait!!

May I have your permission to post a picture of that bass on the yahoo fodera club photo gallery? I've never seen another bass like it. As Joey says, it's KILLER.

Best of luck selling that bass. It is a real eye-catcher. :)

Ben

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    EE,

Clue me into the Fodera Forums, Where?

Do you have pix of your Foderas?

8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Hey Lamar,

I didn't see the photo either until now but, yes it looks like an AJ w/ an Emperor horn on the bottom half.

JC

9. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    \
  10. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Post away, hell yeah!

I think the AJs have a J at the beginning of it, so I was told from someone. The bass is a monster. Tons of tones and feels like total butter.

You guys rock again, I know initally I come off as an impatient SOB, but that is probably true. But I figured you guys would have the keys, thanks again.

11. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    \
    The photos have been posted to the Fodera Club under the Folder CUSTOM FODERAS/AJ. Cool bass. My 33" scale Fodera/Wal Emperor five string is in the folder right next to it, if you are curious.

Ben

12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Leo - What you may indeed have there is an... oh, what's the name... the "Edward Model" contrabass, that's it - it's essentially an AJ with the Emperor-styled lower horn instead of the curved-in AJ styled one. Check the Fodera site, in Gallery->Basses, right below the Monarch 7.