Foo Fighters

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter Squire, May 29, 2005.

1. Ok, so I have been listening to this group for a while now.

is it just me, or is the production on the Foo Fighters albums really good? I think they have an excellent sound. its very polished, but their pile drivingly heavy stuff still sounds heaps tight.

2. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I'm a huge fan of the Foo Fighters.

Their production quality definitely is very good. They manage to still rock hard and raw even when the sound is very polished, imo. "There is Nothing Left to Lose" seems to show that pretty well, cause the softer, even "poppier" tracks still rock as hard as the fast songs.

Can't wait til their next album drops.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Its awesome, i am also eagerly awaiting their next album i think this summer. :bassist:
  4. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    new cd comes out june 12th. i cant wait. it has around 30 songs on it ive heard.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I absolutely LOVE the Foo Fighters. Easily my one of my favorite "popular" bands of the past decade. One x One was a modern masterpiece in my book, at least with respect to the more commercially accessible releases (ah hell, it doesn't need to be qualified - it was brilliant), and I can't wait to get the new one.

I was a huge Nirvana fan, so it wasn't hard for me to get on Grohl's bandwagon - dude can write a hook and I really dig his voice and what he does with it.

Glad to see that he's kept the One x One lineup intact and that he isn't shuffling anymore.
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the guitars are mixed very loudly.
  7. PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    I love their first three albums (I think TINLTL is particularly underrated), but found 'One By One' to be a bore. The sound was too raw and generic, and it just didn't sound like the Foos to me. I'm afraid the new album isn't going to stray too far from that sound. And the idea of a rock disc and acoustic disc also worries me. Here's a link to some of their new tracks, a few of which leaked (poor quality), but mostly live versions. I think they're decent, but nothing too impressive. Hopefully the proper version of the album will sound better. Ah dang, the link is down. It shouldn't be too hard to find though through a search.
  8. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Nate Mendel...killer bassist with a unique style. He's been ripping a long time. Check out a CD by his old hardcore band BROTHERHOOD. It's called Words Run As Thick As Blood on Crucial Response Records. Bass is way up in the mix so you can hear it clearly.

One of my favorite HC records of all time.
  9. Wow. I'm slow to warm up to new stuff, and I regard Colour and the Shape as one of the all time great records, so when I made a comp to go in the car, I was pretty well shocked that there were more songs off "One By One" than any other record.

As far as the "raw" comments, I read an interview (you can take them for what they're worth...) where Grohl said that the first disc did great internationally, but the big gripe about The Colour... was that it was too slick and overproduced, and the AC-30 sound of TNLTL is a result of that. I've only heard "the Best Of You" and I do like the overall sound of it.