Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

foot tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Shaz, Apr 24, 2004.

1. OK i just recently started reading 1/8th notes and 1/16 notes and i am finding very hard to keep a good rythm with my foot tapping. for 1/8 notes i should pluck on both the up beat and down beat right? for some reason i am having a lot of trouble doing this

any advice would be much appreciated

2. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Normally your foot taps on quarter notes, it's just natural. Although sometimes with faster music I will notice tapping twice on each quarter note (but that's just me). It will help you just count as you play while tapping your foot on quarter notes. Like for eighth notes: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4. You play 8 notes but only tap 4 times. Or for 16ths: 1 e & ah, 2 e & ah, 3 e & ah, 4 e & ah.

If you want good time don't use your foot alone, get a metronome and tap your foot to that. I'm sure there are a lot of good advice regarding use of metronomes here, do a search, I don't really want to get into it right now ;)

3. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I read somewhere, possibly ed friedland in a bass player this year, that he taps slower for faster notes. this is something to to with your notes falling more naturally into the pocket, and thus sounding more fluid than mechanical.

so he will tap on the 1 & 3 when he is playing 16ths.

i've tried that, and it seems to work, but i don't play many 16ths.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I see tapping your foot (nodding head, etc) as something you should be able to do naturally, because it helps when working stuff out, counting phrases, bars etc.. but something that you shouldnt neccessarily have to do all the time.

5. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    Just DANCE, and your feet will follow!!
    Don't forget it's music: dance with your feet, count with your head..

my 2 cents...

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have Carol Kaye's Bass DVD and her plucking method is pretty simple, tap the foot opposite your plucking hand (if you pluck with right hand, tap left foot) and move your pick in time with your feet. As your foot moves down, pluck downward, and as your foot comes up, pluck upward.

It takes a little getting used to, but makes playing the upbeats or strange rhythms easier to play.

I still play fingerstyle mostly but I like Carol's picking method.

7. I agree. Foot tapping isn't something that should be relied on. You should be able to play bass in time without tapping your foot.

8. There's lots of different things one can do besides foot tapping. Since I use a metronome most of the time I tend to not foot tap, but I do find myself swaying back and forth at half or whole notes.

- Chris