1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For the Steinberger XL series lovers.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Oct 27, 2009.

Who you be interested or not?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2009.
  1. I would strongly be interested

37 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. Not interested at all

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    For the Steinberger XL series lovers. And those who love graphite basses for what ever reason.

If a company came out with a small bodied all graphite bass guitar with some of the features that made the original Steinberger XL series bass what it was/is would you be interested in possibly purchasing one?

And if so why?

A standard 4 string and a 5 string with wide string spacing would be your choice.

2. I wouldn't unless it was cheap, and I have to imagine it is a pretty small niche market that wouldn't support a standard product line and therefore drive up the cost. I think the look is just too different for most people's taste, regardless of the sound and playability. We played a gig with the Itals and that was the first live Steiny I've seen in ages....not sure if that's because of availability/affordability or just lack of interest. For the record, I think they are cool and almost bought yours.:)

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I thought the XL was a great innovative and practical design as well as a great sounding bass. I'd be interested, especially with a wide-spaced 5.

Mike

4. Well,first off,I grew up in the 70's and 80's.I remember when Steinbergers first hit the scene,and was being advertised in guitar mags.WOW!!That's all I could remember thinking.
    First time that I actually heard one live??REO Speedwagon's bassist,Bruce Hall,was playing one (Great,solid rock-player.Give him a listen.KILLER tone!!).
    Then Geddy moving to them??That sealed the deal for me!
    Man,I've always wanted one of those.
    (Jaco,whoever purchased yours,got a SCREAMIN' DEAL!!Damnit!Wasn't me...)

So,in a nutshell??Yes,I'd be VERY interested in a graphite necked instrument. Period!!Due to my location,I've only seen two Steinbergers.A Turquoise-blue model with a graphite neck & wood body. A black XL,4-String,that I did get the opportunity to play,in a live setting (back in the late 80's).I was bar hoppin',checkin' different bands out.I ran across this cat playing it.Long story short:I kept buying him shots until he got good 'n' buzzed and let me sit in on a few songs.lol.
    The only thing that I had to get used to was sliding down to a low F.My hand would just keep going.I was used to the voloute(?) on my Alembic I had at the time.

Hmmm.....Who thinks,is Jaco having,"seller's regret"???Or,does he know "something" we don't know??Hmmmm.....Is "something" in the works,somewhere??

5. I'd be interested, but need more info. What kind(s) of pickups and pre-amp(s)?

6. I had a Steiny XL back in the day and, yeah, I would love to have one or something very similar again. But cost would be an issue, I'd think. I can't imagine someone getting these manufactured and priced for less than 3K a piece (prolly more), and to be honest that's outta reach for me. But I'd keep an eye out for a used one, for sure.

7. I had an all graphite s'berger guitar in college, still have it somewhere. it was great cuz it was portable. it was super comfy to play. . . but I'm a BIG guy. I just look absolutely ridiculous playing it! :D

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I'm not having sellers remorse at all.

That's funny :)

And my name is Jauqo not Jaco(and I'm not being sarcastic or trying to be rude).

9. (I won't be able to afford one any time in the near future, but just for the sake of conversation...)

1) Wide spaced 5, really !?!?!? :eek::hyper:
    2) Tone
    3) Playability
    4) Tuning stability
    5) Portable
    6) Oh, let's not forget the 'cool' factor

:cool:

10. I don't know what the hell I was thinkin',man.Take it as a compliment!!My apologies.

Uh....Do you know "something" that we don't know????

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    No problem my bass playing brother.

;) :)

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Would I want one? Absolutely yes. I look at vintage Steinies on Ebay all the time.

Would it be a sustainable business move? No. The target market would be tiny, which would mean the maker would have to charge a huge price tag to cover their costs to manufacture. Granted there are makers using this model (small production, high price) presently, but I can only imagine most of them have been eating and paying bills straight from their savings or credit lines for the last couple of years.

I see only two ways to beat the odds:
    1) Make the looks of the bass conform to modern tastes, meaning either Fender-ish or modern-boutique-ish (Dingwall, Ritter, etc.).
    2) Get some really high-profile and mainstream-popular endorsers.

13. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I like the sound of some graphite basses, and am very happy with my Status. I never really cared for the small-bodied Steinbergers (for ergonomic and aesthetic reasons) so, no, I wouldn't be particularly interested in such a model.

14. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    There IS an all graphite headless alternative out there still being produced by one of the world's finest Bass guitar makers, the Status Streamline:
    http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html
    VERY high quality instrument. Available in both 4 and 5 string models. Prices start about $2000 U.S.
    streamline_front1.

15. tat2jim

tat2jim

Sep 13, 2007
    ATL via NYC
    I'm very happy with my XL. No need for another. Thanks for asking. :bassist:

16. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Nice Status!

The only reason I got rid of the three different Steinies I've owned over the years (two L2's and 1 less warm sounding XL2) was the tight string spacing. otherwise it was an ultimate travel bass, though as a number one bass I would still prefer a wood bodied instrument, as I think the wood adds a tonal dimension I like that the Steinbergers don't have. They did sound awesome in their own way, though.

I also think the aftermarket Boomerang strap system is a better one than the original pivot plate- I never really got comfortable with that, though it made dancing with the bass much easier...

17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I also see the swivel strap plate as one of the "features that made the XL what it is"--otherwise, the Status already fills that particular niche.

Mike

18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'm the proud and ultra-happy owner of Mr. Jauqo III-X's Steinberger so I think I don't have to answer his question. But anyway, the only reason why I don't make this fabulous instrument my #1 bass is the lack of the low B string, so I think I need an XL5W to match my beloved XL2.

My answer is: Proven than such company uses the same construction methods and materials than the Newburgh factory, I'd be really interested (although I think it would be a very expensive instrument).

Oh, also a proof of qualified personnel building them. I mention this because as far as I understand, there were many Steinberger "lemons" when the production moved to Nashville, while the people there learned to work with composite materials. That's the reason why a Nashville-made all-composite Steinberger has never been appealing to me (and AFAIK the few XL5Ws in existence were made there).

Hope everything is going really fine for you and your family, Mr. Jauqo! :)

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Absolutely. A terrific feature IMO.

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Maybe I should add: Improving plastic parts that (reportedly) break easily, like the string jaws. Also, that battery compartment lid definitely needs a redesign.