Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those interested in Walter Woods Amps...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by KJung, Oct 17, 2005.

1. There's a nice thread over on the EB side that has some discussion and pictures of the interior workings of the WW Ultra. It seems that the design has evolved since that particular model (the 1200 watt RMS Ultra) was introduced in 1999. It also seems that the newest models (built after mid 2003) are significantly different from the earlier Ultra1200 units, in both components and sound.

Thought you DB guys might be interested in checking it out.

2. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    link? title maybe? I could not find the thread

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
  4. Can someone please post the title of this thread. I'm very interested and the link keeps coming up invalid. I've done a search - there are so many threads on WW and I've read through quite a few....

Thanks!

5. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi...

I'm a WW-owner myself and I've read through the thread, BUT WHERE HAS IT GONE OFF TO???...

I've searched through all the titles in "amps" which contains "walter woods" but it's not there...

Moderator... HELP !!!

- Peter,

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Very strange. That thread has completely vanished. Seems nefarious.

7. Any word on what happened to that thread????

I am particularly interested KJung's comments regarding the changing of the components and sound in mid 2003. What changed???

Thanks.

8. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

I wonder why the thread is gone?

(moderators if this is verboten please feel free to erase it)
    I sent part of one post to a friend with a WW similar to ones in the thread via email. It was sort of a summary of the previous few posts. this is what I emailed:

All these different models throughout the years really do have their own unique sound. It is interesting to A/B different years... especially the really old ones versus the newer ones.... they all sound good in their own way... but all differ in terms of warmth and quality of the low end response and punch.

1) If you have an Ultra built '99-'01 and it hasn't been updated, you might want to consider doing that as soon as possible if you don't want it to go up in smoke on a gig(yikes!!).

2) If you have one built '02-mid to late '03 updates may be available to address other reliability issues.

3) If you have one built mid to late '03 it may be the older design amp section with the latest updates or you may have the new design amp section which is designated by a "2" after the serial #.

4)Far as I can tell from '04 on are the new design power amps.

There are noticeable differences in the tone between the new and old power amps sections with the older have a tighter punchier low end where the newer design is more open and round, and in my opinion more Demeter like.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I just visited the link, which works fine for me - seems the thread was deleted by the original poster, LOW CLASS, in a move that lives up to its namesake. YMMV.

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    That has happened from time to time. Sometimes the discussion that follows an original posting takes on import that is beyond the original posters intent. The best threads transcend the original subject. At that point the thread ceases to be the originators "property". Is it possible to adjust policy to disallow a poster to delete an entire thread and allowing only deletions of ones contributions to it? Is that to out of bounds? In those cases a body of work beyond the original poster has been thrown out too. I don't like the idea that someone else can delete the words I add to this body of work without my permission.

11. I don't know, but I wonder how Walter would feel if he got wind of the fact that detailed photos of his amps' innards were on display for all the world to see. IIRC, he doesn't provide schematics...

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    While I technically have the "power" to bring a thread back, I think you'd need to make a case to the mods of record in that forum, as performing moderator activities in someone else's forum is considered extremely bad form.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was wondering that same thing. I really hope that he is not upset with this, because I really like and respect the man, and I would not want to upset him. Personally, I think that those photos would not enable anyone to "work the same magic" that Walter does with his amps, and anyone truly interested in trying to cop his design would undoubtedly acquire one and examine it firsthand.

Nevertheless, I can respect Walter's desire for non-disclosure of such photos/information, and I apologize if my contribution that that thread upset him in any way. He's really a great guy, and I'd hate to think that I had upset him.

Tom.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Schematics were provided inside mine.

15. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Walter did provide Schematics on the MI 100's but he quit doing it with the Electro Acoustic Series.

Ric

PS

The Schematics for the MI 100's were kind of a "roadside emergency kit" If you look at them the carefuly you will notice that "Switching Power Supply" specs aren't there.

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    As an experienced electronics guy with a keen interest in amp design, I looked closely at those pictures of the WW Ultra. There was really nothing to be learned at a level of detail necessary to glean any of WW's secrets.

Walter's secrets are safe. An additional thing that protects his design is that (according to legend) he selects and matches the parts for each amp. Without knowing how he does this, even a schematic would be pretty useless.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That was my impression, too. But it's nice to get some validation.

Thanks, Tom.

18. Chris, can you help with this? It seems like this thread could be pretty interesting for both BG & DB. Usually the differences discussed in WW models are between the Electracoustic and other, older models. A few threads have mentioned slight differences bet. the Super and Ultra. This may be unique in that it seems to go into detail about SOUND AND reliability of the same model from year to year or even within the same year!

Much of the information may not even require the pictures of the insides of the amps, if that would make an easier case in reviving the thread.

Thanks for any help!

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Paul emailed me and said the orginal poster deleted the thread. Reasons are unknown. Apparently the author of a thread has the right of "ownership". Paul was going to ask him if he would allow it to be restored.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yup!