For those who have gigged in Denver

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Altitude, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Disappointing news about one of our notorious venue impresarios.

Denver Deadhead Jay Bianchi Arrested on Sexual Assault Charges | Westword

My story about this guy has nothing to do with sexual assault but is worth a brief tell.

We were playing at one of his venues that had an indoor and an outdoor stage. The band I was in had been playing a lot at the time and we were very tight. We were outside.

The inside band was the headliner. I won't say who it was but the band name rhymed with "Schmotet". We were apparently pulling too much of the crowd from their room. They complained to Bianchi, and he came out and literally pulled the plug on us in the middle of a song. Like, he actually cut power to our stage. Classy.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    thombo, Joebone, JRA and 6 others like this.
  2. WRM

WRM Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2015
    StL
    Sounds like he's a first-class slimeball....

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like a whole

Bassdirty likes this.
  4. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I'm curious, what was your band?

This is pretty terrible news. I've played all of his clubs and never had a bad experience, but I know that is not the experience of others. There were always some kind of logistical issue (and not great sound systems with less than experienced people running them, especially in the last few years), but in general, we had fun and got paid.

I like to go by the philosophy of innocent until proven guilty, but this seems like a deep hole to get out of.

Kubicki Fan and lucas303 like this.
  5. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    The Schmotet thing has me thinking.

Bassdirty and FugaziBomb like this.
  6. yeah! who's the band!

7. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I only have one guess, but I don't plan on posting it.

8. groovaholic

groovaholic Protect your hearing. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The name is in there, with some extra Schletters...

Bent77, ahc, HolmeBass and 1 other person like this.
  9. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Our band was Fina Dupa. Your iAmp head played a Fina Dupa gig when you loaned it to me once. Long ago though. I think that gig might have been at Redfish in Boulder.

I have no opinion about the story, really. Apart from the one weird unplugging experience we played quite a few nights at other of his clubs, mostly Other Side, without any problems. If the story is true then it’s awful. But Denver bands haven’t enjoyed the same quality of stage time since he got out of the scene.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    jerry and edwinhurwitz like this.
  10. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

What was the word on the street prior to one f the earliest charges?

11. That dude is a slime ball. I’m from Denver but all this fake hippy junk with alternative motives is getting old around here. That dude was still running Sauncho’s during the Covid shut down and was acting like he was the victim… The amount of trash Denver has attracted since weed has become legal is insane. This used to be a cool small city to live in… ah, now I’m complaining the same broken record complaints. It’s just sad what has become of out here. Whatever happened to just being cool and not taking advantage of people?

ebo, Koshchei, HardNHeavy and 6 others like this.
  12. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    It's not just here. The whole country is the same. Too many rats in the cage and too much failed trickle that puts people on the street. At least we have a music scene. My hometown of Boston was always a tough town but it has gotten really, really hard for musicians to make a living without travel. But yeah, I feel you. Boulder, where I live now, is unrecognizable. It used to be pretty cool.

ebo, WRM, Bassdirty and 2 others like this.
  13. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

That's a great sounding band. I listened to some sides.

14. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    colorado
    I have lived in Denver most of my life. I've done shows with him. That part of town especially on Colfax is a colorful area. When I worked at the Ogden Theater a sound engineer for a national act was involved in a police prostitution sting and was arrested. I took over for him and sound checked and started the show. He got out of jail and made it about 30 minutes in. Claimed he was setup. I would want to hear Jay's side of the story before casting judgement.

lucas303 and edwinhurwitz like this.
  15. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile, ਵਿਦਿਆਰਥੀ Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    It's not just Denver and it's nothing new: the music industry is run by scumbags top to bottom

Keither and rolfplamperton like this.
  16. KellyC

KellyC Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2023
    Scottsdale AZ
    from the article you cited:
    In my experience, I've seen otherwise decent people become predatory due to overuse of cocaine and meth.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  17. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I've never seen any indication that Jay used meth. You can't keep that up without it becoming obvious.

18. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Thank you.

19. KellyC

KellyC Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2023
    Scottsdale AZ
    Sounds like coke was the drug of choice in his club at that time.

Bassdirty likes this.
  20. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Pretty much. Although I think Jay's choice was more of a psychedelic variety. Which was also very common.

KellyC likes this.