Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For Those Who Know Their Cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jazzin', Feb 28, 2006.

1. Lexus IS 250 AWD

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. Infiniti G35 Sedan AWD

28 vote(s)
    59.6%
  1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

So my mom is getting a new car this spring, and I am the second driver of her car. So I care about what car she gets because I'll be driving it as well. The options are the Lexus IS 250 AWD or the Infiniti G35 Sedan AWD. I live in Montreal, where AWD is very important in the winter.

So The car that I want my mother to get is the Lexus, I find that aside from the fact that is has a smaller engine and the price, everything about the Lexus IS is superior to the Infiniti G35. My father wants my mother to get the G35, and since he pays for everything, he will probably get what he wants. But I find that this is the wrong choice. We are going to go to the dealers and check everything out, including test drives.

So I was wondering what all of you think?

EDIT:
    Here's pictures for those who may not know what they look like.

Lexus IS 250 AWD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Infiniti G35 Sedan AWD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    G35X Sedan all the way. Now if it was the new Lexas IS 350, that is a different story. My dad owns the G35X sedan and it is really great...

What do you think is so superior about the IS 250? I don't think it is superior at all, and this is coming from a guy that loves sporty imports. Hell, I'm practically infatuated with them. I drive an RSX Type S in rush hour traffic even though it has a close ration 6 speed MT.

3. Personal taste aside, how is the 250 superior? The Lexus ain't a bad car, but the G35 is larger, faster, and cheaper.

Mike

4. Jazzin'

The G35 is larger, faster and cheaper, but there's still a reason it's cheaper. It isn't less expensive for nothing. I think that you get what you pay for. And since when is lager good?

5. Lager is ALWAYS good (I like beer). I'm looking at this from your father's standpoint. He's got a wife and one (or more?) child(ren) to haul around, plus whatever else y'all's lifestyle dictates. Spending another $1000 for less space (and less power) doesn't make sense.

As far as the price difference, I doubt you'll find the quality difference anywhere on that automobile. Infiniti has been playing second fiddle to Lexus since it's inception. The reasoning behind this is hardly quality. More likely a stupid marketing scheme in the beginning, some crappy refiguring a little later and a solid public buy-in for Lexus as an alternative to the then-popular European luxury marques.

The only way Infiniti can hope to gain market share is to outperform its rivals in both performance, appointments, and price. The G35 has successfully done this. As stated earlier, though...the IS350 is a different story. That car has the performance edge and the price difference could be justified, if that's your thing.

Personally, the IS250 doesn't make sense to me on paper when comparing the two cars (keeping personal taste out of the equation). I'll ask again: what about the Lexus is superior?

Mike

6. Jazzin'

Well, I'm actually the youngest in the family. There are no children to haul around.

One reason is that the lexus has a way better fuel economy with its smaller engine (I guess it's implied because it's the usual case witha smaller engine)
    Another would be both the interior and exterior design, the G35 design is old and will soon be replaced. The IS design is fairly new. There is a higher resale value for the IS. A better transmission. Paddle shifter, oooo I love that. It's actually quite safer. has a sh*tload more luxury features with new technology. Soundsystem. Navigation system can be controlled by voice (I need to see this in person to see if it's actually more convenient). Has keyless entry and keyless engine start. Has a backup camera and sensors in the front and rear. There are just so many more features on the Lexus.

I guess one can say that it's features of convenience, safety and luxury with good looks vs. a higher performance engine which is slightly cheaper.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I haven't noticed G35s hurting as far as resale value. Yes, it's not a brand new design but it's one of the best ones out there IMO. If I were in that niche market, it's what I would buy. Sounds like it's coming down to gadgets vs. performance and you're less interested in performance. Nothing wrong with that.

OTOH I bought an AWD Honda Element AND two convertibles for less than either of these:D

8. Jazzin'

I'd want the best of both worlds. The IS 350 has that, but AWD and $$$ must be sacrificed.
    And how about that GS 300? But it's expensive as well.

9. I'll agree with some of this, disagree with some of it. More convenience? Depends on usage, but yes, there are a few more available on the Lexus. Safety? Not really. Both vehicles have similar safety systems...brake assist, etc. (minus the camera...but really, do you need that in a sedan?). Luxury...this is where they separate. The G35 is a sports sedan. It will beat the Lexus to 60 mph by almost 2 seconds. That is a massive performance gap. My preference for autos will always lean more towards the performance end. I'll toss voice-activated anything, the paddle shifter, and the extra cog for the 2 seconds and bank the extra grand (which I would then use for a less restrictive intake and pick up even more time). And it could be a 10 year old design.

Your preference is for bells, whistles, and the newest style. That's your thing. Nothing wrong with it. I guess my point is that (to me) the Lexus is superior in things that I don't care about or need. That's my opinion.

Mike

<edit> The GS 300 AWD is still slower that the G35x. Sorry. Mr. Johnson, you are my automotive hero of expendable income. You are also only the second person I know who has purchased the BMW Z coupe. The first still owns his and loves it.

10. Jazzin'

I agree with you. The Lexus IS is also a sports sedan. I like the IS 250 AWD but the smaller engine does mean it is slower. Do you find that the IS 250 AWD's lower performance is unacceptable for a sports sedan?

11. Unacceptable? No. Unacceptable at that price point? Yes. That said, a sedan can be "sporting" without being fast. I haven't driven the Lexus, but I've got no doubt the vehicle feels sporty. Lexus is a quality company and they wouldn't throw it in that genre if it didn't feel it. I guess my point was that the Infiniti is "more" of a sports sedan. Like I said, 2 seconds is a massive performance gap. A chasm, if you will. In that regard, these vehicles are almost incomparable. As you noted, however, the Lexus is more luxury-oriented.

Mike

12. Jazzin'

I think it's going to come down to the testdrive.

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm not going to comment on the specific cars because both of them are *way* out of my league :( I prefer hatchbacks and don't need AWD.

But it is a fallacy that a smaller engine is always better. An engine that is too small for the vehicle will work harder and end up using more gas than an engine that is better suited for the size of the vehicle. I wish I had gotten the larger engine for my truck to save gas.

However, I don't think that is a problem in this case. Carry on.

14. The camera and voice activated set up is part of a $2500 option package....making the price difference $3500 (if you so choose). For that kind of money, you can buy a 1998 Ford Zx2....and still be faster than the Lexus :D . Just kidding.

Mike

15. Jazzin'

The fuel economy is actually rated higher on the Lexus.
    22mpg to 17mpg for city, and 28mpg to 24mpg for highway.

16. On premium gas......... Sorry for rubbing it in. I can see how this vehicle is more attractive depending on your tastes. Lexus has always been a more luxurious line, but in my position (two small kids, kind of a speed freak...and a cheap bastard) the Infiniti is the way to go. I'll stop now.

Mike

17. Jazzin'

Hehe, I actually wanted at least one person to try to convince me away from the Lexus and towards the Infiniti. It will help in the decision even though I do not make the final decision.

18. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Is the G35 the one that's basically a dolled up Nissan 350Z with a back seat? If so, it would pretty much be the sex. I've been in love with the Zs since I first laid eyes on a 240.

The boys on Top Gear tend to be pretty hard on the paddle shifters (aka "flappy paddle gearbox"). Once the novelty wears off they supposedly get really tiring since the car still shifts when it wants to, it just uses your paddle fiddlin' as a rough guideline.

Also, as a big guy I can lust after a car all I want but until I actually sit in it and get a feel for the driving position (one of the most important factors to me since I spend 2 hours a day commuting) I can't tell if I'll like it or not. Oddly enough, the best driving positions I've ever found were in 80's Nissans (my 87 pickup was amazing (and also exactly the same as the 87 Stanza)) but when I test drove a newish Sentra the other week I found there was almost no room for me.

-Nate

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My take is: Its THIER money, & if you want a Lexus... you should go buy one & stop trying to get mom & dad to buy a car YOU want.

On to the car comparision, G35 baby!

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ

I have no experience with the lexus, but I have driven the infinity and it is very very nice.