1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Forte v PJB-800 v TH 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by velalv, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Bergantino Forte

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Phil Jones D-800/400

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Aguilar TH 500

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    So my GK MB-500 is done, and it is time for me to get a new amp head. I play a Musicman Bongo 5 with nickel strings and a Martin acoustic bass with tapes through a Bergantino CN 112. I play CCM 3-4 times a month at church, sometimes other locations. I used to like tubey and old school, but those days are behind me. These days I am looking for a relatively flat response that can take an Overdrive pedal to simulate a tube amp for a song or two per set, and can highlight the differences between my two very different basses. I do not want coloration in my tone. I'm including the TH only because others loved it. I loved it just not with my bongo.

I want something small and light. No suggestions from GK as I am over them for now. I would prefer to stay with class d type amps or small A/b amps. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Bugera Veyron BV1001T

3. I am pretty satisfied with my Aguilar ToneHammer 500.

4. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Mesa Subway D-800:hyper::hyper::bassist::bassist:

5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Trickfish Bullhead .5K. Flexible EQ, powerful, no fan and gives you a clean pallete.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    velalv likes this.
  6. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Bumping this up for more responses. I go shopping today. Really want something that will reproduce my Martin Acoustic and my Bongo with their own voice. I have a small pedal board with an VT Bass, compressor, and Dispatch Master rever delay for ambiance and want a versatile rig. Also welcome any comments on the Aguilar AG 700 for my goals. Thanks

7. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    So I ended up getting a Bergantino Forte. Very happy with it.

Joshua and 57pbass like this.
  8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Did you see Mesa released a new high power Walkabout..

9. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Just saw it now. It looks awesome, but I tend to think it is in the TH500 family of tone right? Any which way I am really thrilled with my new purchase!

57pbass likes this.
  10. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Forte is a sweet amp. No doubt. Enjoy!

11. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    One of the Mesa Subway amps!

12. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Thanks. I played my Martin acoustic through it this past Saturday and many people approved of the tone. A couple of congregants said it was the most "bassy" I've sounded on that bass in a while.

13. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Most bassy. Interesting complement. Those Martins are sweet little basses. Sounds like you've got a really sweet rig now.

How does the Forte compare to the MB500?

14. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    The Forte is much more of a chameleon. I started with the Aguilar, which has a wooly tone that sounds great, but both my basses (a Musicman Bongo with Stainless Steels strings) and my Martin acoustic with TI flats sounded almost the same. People loved the "bassiness" of the tone with the acoustic's short decay. The MB 500 sounded much more forward, even when I EQ'd it on the "flat" setting. The default tone was the exact opposite of my Aguilar. It was too forward in the mix. My acoustic would still jump out front, sometimes awkwardly so. The Bongo sounded huge and up-front, but I couldn't tame it for slower songs easily. The Forte so far sounds like my bass, only louder. The EQ section is much more intuitive to me and honestly, I have not touched a single EQ knob on it yet.

aproud1 likes this.