1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Found a dog- help?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Jul 6, 2012.

1. A sweet, healthy & apparently fairly well-trained female dog adopted(suckered)my wife last night and stayed the night. Her very clean & groomed condition as well as her very friendly(but not terribly jump/slobbery)personality lead me to believe that she has(had? :confused:)a home; can anyone suggest how we might reunite this b***h ;) w/her people? She has a tag w/ref to a veterinarian in, IIRC, *King City* (wife told me, haven't looked; INCREDIBLY busy this weekend :atoz: )), which is FAR south of my location(Vacaville).

I know of TBer's immense love for animals, especially dogs- and I know dogs need their people. Suggestions? We will contact the SPCA to begin with.

UPDATE:
    Owner found, dog w/fam- thx all

:)

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I just heard that July 4th is the biggest day of the year for dogs to runaway. (The noise makes them crazy or stupid.)

She may have a microchip. If her people are looking for her, the pound is probably the first place they will go.

Take her to a vet and see if they can scan her chip, or take her to the pound and see about the same thing.

3. And why would you not contact the vet whose name is on the tag first????

Also, there's a good chance the dog has a microchip. A local vet should be able to find and read it if that's the case.

4. :rolleyes: Thank you Captain Obvaries. ;)
    We did- it was late when she showed up- we'll call again during normal biz hrs. We have a great vet here, so they're on the do-call list.
    Pics in a minute, thanks everyone.

5. [​IMG]

She's not as big as she appears here.

[​IMG]

6. What they said... Why don't people put their phone number on their dogs tags is beyond me.

and an example to everyone how a thread is supposed to work...but then we assume he didn't must grab a random pic from the net ;)

7. I hear you- although w/o knowing the full story, I'll pass no judgement. She is clearly well-cared for, it's just after the 4th & so there's no telling what may have happened. LOUD booms, runaway pup in a strange town... :atoz:
    It's no emergency but again- I just want to get her home.

8. Here's one w/my cat Mai-Mai:
    [​IMG]
    *can we keep her?*

9. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Post flyers in neighborhood and/or on craigslist, as others said check for microchip, but don't take her to the pound, if you do, she might be put to sleep with her owners still looking for her. You can call the pound and ask what is the procedure for found pets.

10. Contact the vet, see if a local vet or shelter will scan for a microchip, contact the police to see if there is any report of a missing dog?

11. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    We found a dog with similar ID tags before - no owner info, but vet tags. We contacted the vet, and they got in touch with the owner. The owner then called us. The vet wouldn't give out the owner's details to strangers, of course.

Should be relatively easy for the vet to figure out who the dog is.

12. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I think you can call 911 or the police's non-emergency number for an animal control officer and they can take it and find the owner.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Glad you're doing this, OP.

Even being with you as opposed to her owner, you can tell that she's relaxed. Being alone exponentially stresses a dog like you wouldn't believe.

Wish I could help. I'll always go the extra mile for dogs.

14. AAAAAaalll better- called vet, vet contacted owner(who is visiting her father a block away; dog is an accomplished fence-jumper :ninja:); she gave vet her phone # and perm to pass it on to us, we called- SHE(owner)is in Sacramento but her dad came and got her. [MY]kids sad, no new dog today. I'm happy- dog is w/her fam & I get no enhanced yard duty. ;)
    Thanks again to all- it really was nothing, in fact it was a nice little break from the usual, given the happy ending. We are cat people specifically- but animal people in general- and ALL our kittehs are rescues- as was this girl.
    :cool:

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Glad it all worked out for the best. You did good giving her a safe place in a time of need.

16. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Good on you, Bassteban. You cared and that was the most important part.

17. Oh I really didn't do much- my wife was the sucker this time around. :) I of course caved in- what else could I do? I may be the lost dog one day... :D
    Kids insisted I put up the tent so they could sleep in the backyard and keep Bowser company. When I got up this morning, mom was the only one who hung all night. I did give her the last mom's custom chicken & sausage burger patty, after driving around to find all the nearby stores closed.