Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freakbass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RickC, Aug 11, 2005.

1. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Just got back from Musikfest, in Bethlehem PA, and got to catch a set from Freekbass. From the photos on the Musikfest website I was expecting something Les Claypool, but what we got intead was more like Bootsy Collins. In fact, Freekbass bills himself as a Bootsy protoge, they have worked together.

http://www.freekbass.com/

Quite an impressive set of spaced-out funk; lots of fun. Freekbass had two nearly identical custom instruments. They looked very cool, and very comfortable as well. Unique body shape, maybe a Chinese character? or maybe just something made-up. Couldn't find any info about them on the website, but there are some pics.

And of course, the envelope follower was on all night long :cool:

/rick

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah Freak is a trip!!

One of the drummers that I gig with from time to time used to Sub for both him and Bootsey before moving here to ATL. Sounds like they have a blast on their gigs!

3. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i read somewhere that his basses are just the numbers 1 2 3

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's correct.

Freekbass grew up listening to Bootsy's Rubber band and Parliament/Funkadelic. Bootsy saw him perform and sort of "adopted" him.

Currently, he's a paid endorser for the Kustom GrooveBass 1200

5. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Ha! Looks like he had a pair of #3's at Musikfest; funny I didn't see that before. Very cool design, and nicely built instruments. Anyone know who made them?

/rick

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    MDX Guitars