1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Freakbass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RickC, Aug 11, 2005.

1. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Just got back from Musikfest, in Bethlehem PA, and got to catch a set from Freekbass. From the photos on the Musikfest website I was expecting something Les Claypool, but what we got intead was more like Bootsy Collins. In fact, Freekbass bills himself as a Bootsy protoge, they have worked together.

http://www.freekbass.com/

Quite an impressive set of spaced-out funk; lots of fun. Freekbass had two nearly identical custom instruments. They looked very cool, and very comfortable as well. Unique body shape, maybe a Chinese character? or maybe just something made-up. Couldn't find any info about them on the website, but there are some pics.

And of course, the envelope follower was on all night long :cool:

/rick

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah Freak is a trip!!

One of the drummers that I gig with from time to time used to Sub for both him and Bootsey before moving here to ATL. Sounds like they have a blast on their gigs!

3. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i read somewhere that his basses are just the numbers 1 2 3

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    That's correct.

Freekbass grew up listening to Bootsy's Rubber band and Parliament/Funkadelic. Bootsy saw him perform and sort of "adopted" him.

Currently, he's a paid endorser for the Kustom GrooveBass 1200

5. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Ha! Looks like he had a pair of #3's at Musikfest; funny I didn't see that before. Very cool design, and nicely built instruments. Anyone know who made them?

/rick

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    MDX Guitars