Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

French Pfretzschner

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Sep 28, 2005.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Hi,
    I am currently in the market for nice french bow. I have come across and very nice French style HR Pfretzschner ($3000). I am just wondering though because I have not seen many french HRP mostly German. Can anyone tell me about their French bows? Ken I noticed you have one on your web page. But you say you think it is fake, why?? This bow I am trying is pretty long and has a somewhat smaller tip. The frog has that symbol on it and is stamped HR Pfretzschner.

Also what should one look for in a bow, I know contact and response in important but I woulkd like to hear some people throw some other things out here -so I can make the best decision.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Pfretzschner is one of the most common copied/faked names in German made Bows. If the Bow is long and the tip is small then it is a poor excuse for a French Bow.

Read this; PFRETZSCHNER, Herman Richard ( b.1857 )was first a pupil of his father, then of Vuillaume in Paris. He established himself in 1880. He created the "Wilhelmj" bow. His sticks are not varnished. ( common with German bows ). Pfretchner worked for J.B.Vuillaume for a year (1874) in Paris. In 1888 he opened his own workshop in Markneuchirchen. This full-length model perfectly demonstrates what a brilliant maker he was. The head is elegantly carved and has neat, precise chamfers. The stick is round and made from wonderful dense pernambuco that is of an attractive light brown colour. It is strong yet full of elasticity. The frog bears a royal court-of-arms brand. In 1901 Pfretchner was appointed the title of Bow maker to the Royal Saxonian Court. Bows after this date were stamped with this brand. This superbly balanced bow is a delight to use. Silver mounted.

If it is the real deal, it would have similar specs to a real French Bow. I have a very nice and old old French style bow from Germany here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/Bows/German/German.htm

This Bow is not long and is a real French style/french playing type bow. The Pfretzschner copy/Alsatian bow I had is sold now. It was nothing like a real Pfretzschner but it was a good sounding bow. I let it go for only $700. The one I just posted above was recently appraised verbally for $1,800. It is one of the best sounding bows I have and plays smooth right to the tip.

3. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I will post some pics and some measurements soon.

4. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    here are the upper and lower halfs

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Do you know how old the Bow is? HR was succeded by his son Herman into the middle of the 20th century. Many Bows of various grades made. The best quality is obvious. Many copies made as well by other shops. If it is a Shop bow from them or a copy, then it will be valued by it's merits. The Stick and Frog are quite plain. The Brand and Emblem do not make it authentic on it's own. Only and maybe a quality Bow Professional could tell if it is geniune.

6. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    This bow is one Chris Brown has on consignment and I will ask him more about it. It has a great quality to the tone.