Fret buzz confusion

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Joe, May 12, 2005.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe

May 12, 2005
    I own a Modulus Q5 (2001 I believe) with a composite fingerboard which I have loved for the last 2 years.

Yesterday I put new strings on it (DR .45-.120) and immediately encountered horrible buzzing on all the strings when played open and throughout the first 5 or so frets.

Some strings are worse than others. The worst ones buzz constantly against the frets and the best buzz only after letting the string ring.

The buzzing doesn’t occur up around the 7 fret or higher.

Before I put the new strings on, only the A string would occasionally buzz after letting it ring in the open position.

However, the problem is much worse now that the new strings are on.

I have restrung the bass a few times with the same brand and gauge of strings and have never encountered this problem.

Is the problem due to the new strings or do I need to have the intonation adjusted?

Anyone ever encounter this problem?
    If it's due to the new strings, how long will the buzzing last?

2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Buzzing in the first 5 frets usually means your neck is too straight. If you have a truss rod, you might try loosening it a tad.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe

May 12, 2005
    Thanks for the response.

I have the feeling I need to loosen the neck a bit but at the same time, the buzz did not start until I put the new strings on. It wasn't there before I replaced them.

Also, because it's a graphite neck, should I bother trying to adjust it myself or take it in to a professional?
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Loosening it I wouldnt worry about taking it to a pro. And one of the reasons you might notice that on new strings more is because the strings havent been stretched in yet, so they are probably a little lower tension than older strings, so it let the neck relax some, making your truss rod a bit too tight. You might stretch the strings out really well before making any adjustments. And I wouldnt go more than about 1/8th of a turn loose and then recheck it after re-tuning.
  5. I think that depends on how comfortable you feel with doing it yourself. I like to do the minor adjustments myself, but if it's anything major, I take it in. To loosen the truss rod, turn it counter-clockwise maybe a 1/4 turn and that should do the trick. Hope that helps

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The 2001 Q5, which I own, doesn't have a truss rod. It has a "bidirectional relief adjustment" system. It doesn't really work the same way a truss does in a wood neck.

When you turn the adjuster, it simply pulls the middle of the FB downward a bit, the reverse pushes it up a bit, and there is a dead spot in the middle that is the neutral position.

It may give you the clearance you need, but it may not. It doesn't offer the same flexibility as do wood necks. The system is not at all structural, so it doesn't actually allow the neck to bend more as a conventional truss rod does.

It has been my experience that there are some strings out there that you simply can't use with the Q5.